Originally Posted by born_wild
Hunting is expensive in Germany ...you will see , but you can olso try Romania . The trophies are much better here .
If you want something ask for a price ...I'll be glad to help you

Hunting is expensive in Germany until you make a few friends, then doors open.

I got my Jagdschein in 1999 at K-Town through the Landstuhl Rod and Gun Club.

My information is dated, so take with caution. When I left in 2002, the intent was to close nearly all American Rod and Gun clubs in Europe. As I'm tracking now, that has not happened, but the number of clubs and avaibility of hours has been cut back.

Look for other clubs in Germany offering the Jagdschein classes, some other clubs were offering compressed courses over a few weekends when I was there. My class was 120 hours of classroom, field and range instruction with a shooting test, and a 15 page exam. As I recall, we met two nights a week, and one weekend day for 8-12 weeks.

You will also have to carry hunting insurance, one million D-Marks when I was there, no idea what the Euro cost is now. It was $200-300 dollars for a year policy as I recall, and you could not get your license without it, and proof of payment.

As an American hunter, you will need to prove that you can take instructions, listen to the land owner/Forest Meister, and participate in working parties on the hunting areas.

Keep in mind that at least one American in your area before you has ignored the hunt instructions and taken something that they shouldn't have. In my area, Ramstein, an American rotating back to the States had just shot a huge trophey boar during a hunt for weanlings. His response to the land owner, was "So what, I'm leaving!" We had quite a bit of mending to do after that incident.

By participating, and helping with the less fun jobs, you'll open doors within the hunting community. IE, when the landowner decides to cull 2-10 non-trophy animals, they will call you to come help for the cost of the meat processing. Pay your dues in labor and listening, and they will reward you with some darn fine kindness.

Easily one of the most fun hunting experiences that I have had.

Last edited by AH64guy; 03/09/15.