Been there done that. I was loading ammo late one night after work and grabbed a can of imr4227 instead of another powder for the 222. I then proceded to load 24 grains of it in cases for my dads Remington 788 in .222 that was given to him by a buddy of his when he got out of the service.

One shot at the range the next day and I quickly found that I had to beat the bolt of that rifle open with a sledge hammer. The bolt and case each split into two pieces. Pieces of copper were even welded to the back side of the barrel.

Almost a year later I FINALLY found a bolt on ebay with a buy it now of 110 dollars. I think that I almost tore my shoulder out of it's socket trying to be the first to hit buy it now. A trip to the gunsmith and that gun with the stock barrel still shoots well under an inch at 100 yards. In fact I think that I'm going to take the old bushnell sportview off of that rifle and put a nicer scope on it. After all I put it through I think that I owe it something nice and shiny, right?

The strange thing is that the "weak" bolt on that rifle didn't even break off!

Last edited by 79inpa; 03/13/15.