Originally Posted by jmac603
Hello all,

I have a Sako A7 in 270win with a Leupold VX3 1.75-6x32 in Talley Extra Lows. The front base/ring is the extended version and it hangs over the action. I'm wondering if any of you know if I could just do a Low version of this ring and not have it hang over the action? Or if I could put the extended in the rear and still have correct eye relief? I really don't like how it overhangs.

Also, do you think the upgrading the stock to a McMillan edge is worth the almost $600 investment? The rifle weighs 7.25 lbs all up. I'd probably save 1/2 lb or so. I average 1"-1.5" at 100 yards, but I think that is the shooter. I mostly like the looks of the McMillan and want to change things up a bit.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

J

[Linked Image]

A7 M action 30-06 with low Talley LW.

Don't think it possible to save any weight using an Edge stock. The Edge may even be heavier than the Sako. Not sure you would see any change in accuracy either. Going to the Edge would be better suited if it was a better fit to you, otherwise, if the Sako stock fits you well, you'd gain little if no advantage. If you like the fit of the Sako stock, hunt the rifle hard, and then look at a replacement if the factory stock breaks. Other than torquing the forend hard with a super tight sling, or cranking down hard against a bipod, the stock likely would not break unless run over by a vehicle or rolled over by a horse.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood