Originally Posted by GaryVA
[Linked Image]

A7 S action 243win coyote rifle.

I used an automotive industry acid etch base paint under a durable texture top coat. The acid etch creates a chemical/molecular bond and both have held up about 5 years now. These stocks are first generation, not the later soft touch. The texture applied to both and the camo applied to the coyote rifle serves a needed function.

[Linked Image]

85 M action 9.3x62 Black Bear.

This particular rifle sports a Sako soft touch stock. I've owned and hunted with two different M70s in Edge stocks. Though I liked those stocks, the Sako stock better fits me as it appears they use my twin brother when designing the stock ergos. As far as the black soft touch is concerned, it is ugly as sin, but it is far superior when hunting, in all aspects, in comparison to the texture paint finishes I had on the Edge stocks. I've hunted this particular rifle hard, and though it is cut and scuffed up from knocks and bangs, the stock has held up exceedingly well. If I were to pay top dollar to have a stock custom fit to my dimensions, it would not be too far off from the factory Sako dimensions. So if your stock fits you properly and it was a soft touch, I'd just go hunting and would care less if it was workhorse ugly. If the stock does not fit you well, then no amount of decoration for vanity sake will make it good, it will always be a thorn in your side. In that case, spending the extra money to have a properly fitted stock may very well be a worthwhile endeavor. However, I find the value in the Sako if it fits and works in box stock trim. If large expensive changes are needed to make the rifle fit, then its value may be lost and other rifle options may make a better fit for the dollars spent.

Best smile

Very sound advice. Thank you.

J