Originally Posted by RifleDude
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't crescent style buttplates all confined to vintage and reproduction style lever actions and single shots? I've not seen any new rifles sporting a crescent buttplate that wasn't a reproduction or copy of an old, classic design from the latter 1800's/early 1900's. In that context, wouldn't the gun in question actually be worth considerably LESS if it wasn't appointed with "period" furniture typical of its design vintage?

There have been many advancements in firearms design since the 1851 Sharps rifle was built, but people buy today's reproductions from Shiloh Sharps exactly BECAUSE they are true to the classic design, do they not?

The snottiest rifle I have ever shot was Ruger #3, with "modern rifle" hand loads in 45-70.
Crescent butt plate killed shoulder, lever tore up my hand, stock slapped face, just nothing to recommend that rifle.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)