Well,the new Hawkeye 280 arrived this evening. I got to give it a quick hands on inspection before putting it to bed for the night.

Overall the wood is OK. Good serviceable straight grained walnut.A bit of tool chatter down the sides,but nothing terrible.There was some light scuffing on the floor plate. It must have been sliding back and forth in the box a bit.

One thing that really surprised me was the barrel was floated quite nicely to the front of the shank. I figured there woud at least be forend pressure. Nice!

The front action screw wasn't torqued to 95 in/lbs. That too was nice. Now I can easily get it out of the stock for some trigger work.

The trigger was surprisingly light. Lots of creep though.

Now for another interesting discovery. For this being a new Lawyer Era rifle,the throat is VERY short. I will never need the whole magazine that's for sure. 139gr Hornady Spire Points seated to a COAL of 3.330 won't allow the bolt to close. 3.300 and it will close,but with distinct land marks. Not sure I like it this way. Gonna be hard to get all the juice from the round.

Over the weekend I hope to get a couple pics posted,and maybe fire a couple. The weather doesn't sound too promising,but we will see.

More to follow.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."