And they are less than decent.

What I've heard about them, I didn't like, instead preferring something like the Speer Unicor.

It is much tougher(The FTX is supposed to be somewhat frangible) and you don't have to modify your cases and restrict them to just that bullet. No feed issues that the gummy tip has, needing a new magazine follower.

And I'm not really a big fan of trying to turn the .45-70 into something it's not. But, a lot of people buy that bullet. I've heard people say they got good performance out of them, but I've heard the same for the SST, which is another bullet I avoid.

If you can get some, try the Speer Unicor at 2000 fps. It's now called the Plinker, but it's the closest thing to a premium bullet you can get without it saying "premium" and being priced as such. I've driven them to 2200 fps and they behaved quite well at that velocity, whereas the Hornady 300 grain (non-FTX) was quite fast-expanding and destructive, and tended not to penetrate as well as the Speer. I use the Hornadys(non-FTX) at about 1650 fps, and will go no faster than 1900 with them.

As an aside, I have friends who have tried the FTX in the .30-30 version and they have stopped using them, also. Very frangible and lacking penetration. Hornady's own 170 FP is on of the best in that class.