I have had a Cooper JSR and a Classic. I have also had four or five Anschutz, both 54 and 64 actions. My current rifle is a 54 Sporter in a McMillan stock with a Lilja barrel.

In my opinion your choice comes down to what you like about rifles: If the American stock appearance is what you like then the Cooper wins, but keep in mind its trigger, safety, and bolt system are not anywhere as robust as the 54 Anschutz. The Cooper safety blocks the trigger blade, which means it requires movement to be 100% effective. It also does not lock the bolt. If you are shooting with gloves it might not matter, but if you are used to target grade 5018 or 5022 triggers you will be disappointed. The Coopers do seem to have good barrels though.

The best thing to do is to buy a 1712 barreled action from Champions Choice and send it and four or five grand to LeRoy Berry of Canyon Creek gunstocks in Montana. He use to run the Cooper stock shop and designed much of their offerings. This way you get the best of both worlds.

Last edited by RexM; 03/31/15.