PeaEye -

As saddlesore mentioned, I'm less than a week out of surgery. Was in the hospital under 25 hours total. My surgery used the newer anterior (frontal entry) method, which required a 10 centimeter incision and doesn't cut through muscle, as is done with the older posterior (rear or side) method. There are a lot of restrictions with the older posterior (rear or side) methods but essentially none with the anterior method.

While I've been told not to drive for 3 weeks, I currently have less pain when walking than I did before surgery. And it has been that way almost since the day after the surgery.

My hunting plans this fall include taking all three daughters on a Wyoming antelope hunt and Daughter #1 on her first elk hunt. Doc says it won't be any problem at all, although I do plan to take it easier when elk hunting than I do most years.

The surgery has been a learning experience and something I put off for 6 years. The main thing I'd look for are the experience and reputation of the surgeon, the method used (anterior/frontal is the only way I would go) and the hospital record on post-op infections. Saddlesore made a surgeon recommendation to me and, after seeing three and researching a fourth, that is the one I went with. PM me if you're interested in that info. I see you're in NM, my surgeon and hospital are in the very south Denver metro area so not necessarily out of the question for you and highly recommended by myself, every nurse and the three physical therapists I've talked to since the surgery. Definitely worth looking into even if you go another route in the end..

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/15/15.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.