Coyote Hunter,

Pretty much reflects my experience. Both times I was out of the hospital in under 24 hours. Low level of pain, though some moves did hurt, and the 4 inch incision is pretty tender to start with. You must have a standard transmission like I do. I was able to drive sooner with the right one.

You should be in fine shape by elk season. I had a harder time because of having the second one just under 3 months later, so my elk season started just over 2.5 months into the second. Doc wanted me to wait that long so I would not over stress the first. I was pretty careful the first 6 weeks since there was so much bone healing during that time. You will find your limits at various stages of healing, but even barely a year out from the first one, I am still noticing improvements over what things were like beforehand. It is sooo nice to walk normally again, even if I do need a new knee.

Finding a place with an ultra low infection rate should be right at the top of the list - totally agree. And a proven good surgeon.

I hope OP finds this all reassuring.