Now, THAT is a prime hunting story!

My only one close to that was the time a buddy and I went Mt. goat hunting on the Kenai Pen. Half way thru day one of a 5 day planned hunt we decided it was a one-goat hunt, tho both of us were permitted. It took us 12 hours to cover 6 miles up that canyon, day one, to where we could start hunting. It wasn't pretty... There was this 60 foot waterfall, for example, that we had to circumvent...

Duane drew the coin toss, but I took the pics, using his camera. Damned good pics too, if I do say so myself. Including the goat at 80 yards with a telephoto, before D. shot him on the run.. OK - I might have upset the beast just a little.... smile.

Totally exhausted on getting back to the truck (this involved a dual, and hairy raging stream crossing via canoe, both ways) with his goat, we went a few miles down the road to a friend's place for a lot of drinks, a sauna, and a gourmet meal. In that order. Shortly after we arrived to our friends' empty cabin, and well into our third beer, the lady of the house pulled in and on entering said, all wide eyed, " You will never guess what I saw on the highway on my way back from the post office (2 miles away).

Duane and I looked at each other and then...

We guessed correctly, simultaneously.

I've been trying for 40 plus years since for that same permit....

Last edited by las; 04/17/15.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.