Al,

Good point.

The original meaning of still-hunting was a slow, blind sneak through cover--as detailed in hundreds of pages in W.S. Van Dykes classic book, THE STILL HUNTER. From what I can gather, the "still" came from the hunter moving with the illusion of stillness, like the hands of a clock.

I have heard that some people (especially further east from Montana) now use it as a term for stand hunting. But also admit I haven't hunted in the South for a couple-three years now, and then not in an area with any dog hunting.

Westerners are quite familiar with traditional still-hunting, especially those of us who grew up in the mountains. I have used it to kill quite a few deer and elk, including whitetails. Snow of course helps, but one interesting thing about hunting the mountains out here is that often deer and elk will hang out just below the "snow line" after early-season storms, the elevation where snow turns to rain. Evidently the realize their hoofprints are very obvious in snow, and I've often found them in the rain-zone just below, where the moisture makes still-hunting very quiet. Deer in particular like to bed under conifers in those conditions. I've ended up close to bedded deer of both species, but couldn't get a shot due to low brush, so had to make some slight noise to get them to stand up.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck