Originally Posted by Mule Deer
FieldGrade,

I apologize for being a little abrupt, but so many answers here are like yours, telling the OP that he's basically FOS, and should do something else entirely.

Why does it always have to be either/or on the Campfire? For all we know, he may already own a .221, and may just want to try something else.

And why can't we own both? Many of us take a lot of pleasure in hauling half a dozen rifles in various chamberings on a prairie dog shoot. I've owned (and shot considerably) a bunch of different rifles in various chamberings, including all the commercial varmint rounds presently available except for the .17 Winchester super whatsis rimfire (and am thinking bout buying one), along with some wildcats, and gotten pleasure from all of them.

Some I've liked better than others, which is why I no longer own a .221, or a .220 Swift, or a few others, but am constantly trying stuff, which is why I came to the conclusion that the .17 Fireball is superior to the .221. The .20 Varget is another I've been thinking about, but have tried Jim Calhoon's .19's and kinda feel like I've been there and done that already.

But I'm NOT going to get on a thread like this and say "Get a ....." instead, which is what so often happens here: Somebody asks about some cartridge, rifle or scope, and 17 people say there are 17 other cartridges, rifles and scopes far better, without even knowing whether the OP had tried them already.

You could also have said the .222 Remington will do anything the .221 Fireball will do, but better, or the .17 Hornet will do anything the .22 Hornet will do, but better. You may even have been correct, but he was asking about experiences with the .22 Hornet, not other cartridges.

No harm done.
I too dislike it when someone goes completely off track and if you'll go back and look, you'll see I seldom do that.
I only made an exception this time because the OP is a friend from this and a couple of other forums and I would never encourage a friend to buy a modern firearm in 22H when there are so many better options out there for his intended use.

I could have probably worded it better but hey,,, I'm a Carpenter,,, not a wordsmith.

All that said,,,,,, would this be the wrong time to bring up the 19Badger.

Yea,,,, I didn't think so. eek