Originally Posted by czech1022
I have a new-to-me rifle that consistently puts 3 out of 5 shots in an inch with the other 2 generally above and to the side, resulting in a 1 1/2 to 2 inch group.

Any idea of where to start?

There is a list of ~20 commonly recited accuracy rituals on the internet that will not affect the 1" 5 shot group at 100 yards goal.
There is a list of ~12 commonly recited accuracy rituals on the internet that WILL affect the 1" 5 shot group at 100 yards goal.

We can order the effective 12 in order of frequency of "that was the problem" or we can order them in order of how big a problem they can create.

Going with the probability:
1) screws attaching scope bases to receiver are loose.
This is the cause to over 50% of the cases of some shots over here followed by some shots over here at the range for both my ~100 center fire rifles, and for those I help with my tools at the range.
2) Barrel is heating up and warping
3) Wind gusts
4) Barrel is heating up and touching stock.
5) action screws are loose
6) you are pulling shots. Practice keeping cross hairs on bullseye while dry firing
7) You have inconsistent ammo
8) Copper fouling in bore

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps