Here's my story along these same lines - as told to me by the gun nut:

At work I sat next to a boneifided gun nut. He had an FFL, sold lots of guns, and sold lots of army surplus equipment. He had money from somewhere and lived in a big house in a high end neighborhood. This much I know is true.

So one day his neighbor stops in and asks him to watch their house because they were going away. Wasn't long after and my coworker spots a panel van backed up to the neighbor's garage. Watching through binoculars he watches as three men load a "felony amount" of belongings into the van.

He's already got on his flack jacket and full auto M16 in hand when he tells his wife to call 911 and report the burglary. Also to tell the police he will be on the property stopping the crime.

He verified there were three before jumping out in his flack jacket, full camo, steel pot, and M16 level on them. Told them to stop, then told them to PLEASE try something because he would just love to shoot them. Made them lie flat on the pavement and continue begging them to do something so he could go full auto on them.

When LEO finally arrived the thieves rushed the cops begging them to save them from the nut. They all had a good laugh over it saying these guys would never burglar a home again.

But then when Cliff was telling me the story and demonstrating how he jumped out and slapped the bolt release - his magazine plopped to the ground. Weekend warrior hit the mag release instead of the bolt release so I always wonder whether any of his story was true.