Originally Posted by SNAP
If, that IS an actual Ellwood Epps conversion, you have a gem.

'Tis a gem, but I have my doubts as to whether Epps had anything to do with it. I don't really know enough about him or his work to know. I do know that the dealer I bought it from could be more than a little full of raw excrement product at times, and it was the dealer I bought it from who billed it as being stocked by Epps. It looks like an old U.S. made Bishop brand stock set to me, but with MUCH more highly figured wood.

Your reference to cold weather hunting made me chuckle as we always hunted deer in BC in late November into mid-December and it was COLD, sometimes below zero. We liked the L-E because it worked so well in such conditions and we always seemed to get our game with them.

Believe it or not, it gets pretty cold here in Oklahoma from mid-November to the end of December when our modern gun seasons are happening (general and holiday antlerless) thanks, in no small measure, to our friends in Canada graciously sharing their refreshing Arctic air with us. But the old No.4 Mk1* is indeed a joy to use under such conditions. Heck, it's a joy to use anytime!