I tend to think nearly any P&S camera in the $200 price range is going to be pretty decent, with Sony and Canon generally having the best processors.

I've had a couple Panasonic Lumix P&S's but have never been particularly impressed with them.

The problem with non-waterproof/dustproof P&S cameras is the retractable lens acts like a reverse bellows sucking dust into the camera, which will ultimately collect on the sensor giving you dust spots in your photos.

Both my Panasonic's have ended up with dust spots after a couple years. It costs more than the camera is worth to send them in to be cleaned, so I view these as "disposable" cameras.

The problem with waterproof P&S's is they're not as crisp as non-waterproof cameras (apples to apples).

Personally I'm gong to a mirrorless system with a minimum 1" to maximum 4/3rds processor. Nice thing about a mirrorless camera is the sensor is super easy to clean oneself, actually easier than a DSLR.

If I were buying a P&S tomorrow it would be a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 (there are 3 gens of this camera) or Canon PowerShot G7X.

Otherwise I'm going with a small mirrorless camera. Right now leaning towards a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 or Samsung NX Mini.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery