Well, I want to do this. This will most likely be the only Mauser I ever sporterize, though it may not be the only rifle I ever build/rebuild. I bought the complete rifle off a friend of mine a long time ago for $75. It was in bad shape, but the receiver was sound and the bottom metal was usable so I decided to go ahead and sporterize it. I then discovered that as a broke college student, I had neither the money nor the knowhow to finish the job and I forgot about it for a while.

I've done some minor gunsmithing projects since then with good results, and a few months ago I was reminded about this action and decided to tackle this project finally. You know, take a step up in learning these skills.

And for what it's worth, I've managed to jump on some deals and I think I can finish this whole thing for around $400 including dies a couple boxes of bullets and a pound or two of powder. Now, will it be worth $400 minus reloading stuff to someone else once I'm done? Most likely not, but that's OK. I'll do my best to get $400 of use out of it and call it a wash. Then I'll also have the experience and some new skills to my name, and I figure that will put me ahead.

All the same, thanks for the advice. I'm sure I will have other questions about this as I get started, so you'll probably see me back here.

Greg