I don't have and no desire to have a prime lens. Afraid I'd spend so much time taking a perfect photo and being disappointed that the fun of taking photo's would be lost. It sounds to me like you don't know if your getting good shot's right now, try posting a couple! I don't think good shot's need to be a work of art but rather convey a memory to you that you don't find offensive. I have about every sq inch of space on my walls covered with framed photo's I've taken if they don't turn on other people, sorry about that but there are there because I like them so well!

I strongly suspect that as you get more experience with your camera and lens your gonna see a vast improvement in what your taking. A really good photographer could probably take your camera and lens and make photo's you wouldn't believe possible with them.

18-55 everyone calls a kit lens. Well every Nikon lens I have would be called either really old or a kit lens. Don't be discouraged by the term kit lens. You'll usually get a plastic mount and body but they work unless your a ham handed goof! I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get caught up in chasing what you think is better equipment, learn to use what you have and a some point you'll decide for yourself if you really need a change.