I think prevailing ideology was that our next military encounter would be in the European theater or that our Asian enemy would likely be Chinese. That we would mainly use heavy weaponry. do you use of the battle rifle, the m16, would most likely be a rear zone base weapon.
I don't think that it occurred to us until we got involved in street level fighting in the Middle East that the m16 round was ineffective either from the diminutive barrel, the light bullet, or the heavy bullet moving too slow.
we had to relearn what it took the Russians up until Stalingrad to figure out, did a moderate speed heavyI small and I small light rapid firing package was a superior urban combat weapon.
so now a generation later the United States finally realizes that the mp43, the AK 47, were designed for the battle zone we are seeing today.

So with billions of dollars invested in the stoner platform, rifles, magazines, training, ect we could either trash it all and start from scratch or use what we already have and make due.
We chose the later.
Now it may come to fruition that we adopt the BO militarily.
That's the best choice financially.

Last edited by ringworm; 05/25/15.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024