Originally Posted by Heliman
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
USED Kimber.
Mystery solved.

I'll second that...... The targets look like mine chambered in 7mm-08.

Dave

Mine too. It shoots something like the OP's 260. Which is to say, it sucks grin

After 4-5 range session I concluded ..."this thing is sick",and tossed it in a corner.

But before I did I pulled it apart and took a close look.The guys like SAS are right and here's what I found myself. YMMV.

First, yes the mag box is binding on the bottom of the magazine well. All the tell tale shiny spots are down there.

Second when I loosened the guard screws, the action just fell out...nothing "tight" about the bedding at all,even though it "looks" perfect.

I removed the mag box and follower ,and just dropped the barreled action back into the stock. It now dropped into the stock so low that the barrel (which looked perfectly centered and floated),now made contact with the stock.It was no longer "floated".

Put this all together, and we see that with the guard screws tightened, the barreled action was "bedding" and tightening up on the top of the mag box and not making contact with the bedding surface of the stock at all...at least in the front of the action.

I had heard here about the mag box "binding", but didn't think the whole action was bedded on it...ain't hard to figure why it doesn't shoot.

I also recall Stick saying to bed the recoil lug "tight"...at least that's my memory. That in mind and with screws out, I found the action would rock and roll side to side in the stock. I think I understand what he was saying....that little action could easily roll around under the stress of shooting.

I think the fix is easy enough....bed properly and high enough to avoid the mag box thing, grind it down if necessary,be sure the tube floats. And I will bed that lug so there's no side to side rock and roll. Tight.

All stress free of course.Will see if all that works. I am not ready to trash the barrel...based on what I see. It can't possibly shoot with dogshidt bedding. Have to fix the obvious sickness first.The best barrel in the world will not shoot with lousy bedding.

But I'm no gunsmith.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/29/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.