I'm no metallurgist, hell I just had to look at HTH to spell it.

Old Bill Ferguson WAS. He walked me through some of the basics caveman level, ternary, and quareternary Phase equilibrium diagrams. Deep stuff, from a fellow that was part of the M.I.T. team that refined and DEVELOPED Chro-mo steel. It use to pizz Bill off, he'd be trying to wise me up on alloying lead, and I'd keep steering his focus over towards ferrous,....he was really patient with me, and I look back on those visits / discussions with great fondness.

For whatever it's worth, our Community College 2 year associate's degree in technology sees phase equilibrium diagrams as applied to Austenite and Martensite in GTC 105 and 206, and many journeyman level welding and millwriting curricula cover them in some depth as well.

All of the "hoopla" is about things going on at the ELECTRON MICROSCOPE level, and well below that at the ATOMIC level. In other words fairly sophisticated metallurgy.
....... not really about what one sees (or THINKS one sees) through a 17 power bore scope.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 06/01/15.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain