Originally Posted by Ranch13
A bunch of the confusion comes when folks that are smokeless, highvelocity type shootes get involved in the low pressure low speed tons of fouling and goo of the blackpowder cartridge world.
You do need to remove the carbon , as there may just be some lead and accumulated blackpowder fouling hidden under that.. Anybody ever heard modern day smokeless shooter whine about barrel pitting in old rifles? Aside from the mercuric priming, stuff hidden under the "carbon" has been setting there slowly etching barrel steel.
Clean up an old "pitted" and dark bore of a rifle from the pre smokeless days, and often a lot of that pitting goes away, but yet you will be bringing out fine rust on the cleaning patches.
I'll bet an owners manual from a VW jetta will work just fine for the Dodge cummins diesel,,, after all they're both diesel engines..

A FSO (fuel shutoff solenoid) for a 5.9, from Dodge is STUPID pricey.

Get one spec'd for the Jetta,.....same damn part at 1/4 the price.

A properly MANAGED BPCR should not have any lead, or signifigent carbon under which to hide. The vulnerability of old Wrought Iron, and Semi Steel are a complete UNIVERSE away from our fine modern alloys,...

None of mine have rusted away or disolved yet, from the dread BP "Fouling".

I sure agree that 5-600 rounds of "Getting to know ya'" with ones fresh BPCR is THE way to get one's acumen, trust, and brass prep out of the way,.....PRIOR to going all sideways, and looking for blind alleys to rush down (and likely get mugged)

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain