I've only killed one deer with the .357 cartridge and while it serves as just a sample of one, I wasn't impressed.

The distance was close - a running shot at 15 yards maybe. The deer showed no reaction to the first shot and ran about 40 yards before it stopped behind some trees, totally obstructed except for the head and upper neck. A 50+ yard headshot is a low percentage opportunity with a S&W Model 13, but I had to try and finish the deer. Shot #2 was a complete miss and the deer didn't even flinch. Shot #3 immediately followed and took him just behind the right eye.

My cylinder was staggered with three different loads: Shot #1 was an old 158 gr Federal Nyclad LSWC-HP, Shot #2 (the miss) was a Winchester 145 gr Silvertip, and Shot #3 (terminal head shot) was a 1st Gen 158 gr Federal Hydra-Shok.

The Nyclad was a complete pass-through with no evidence of significant expansion. It struck a lung and nicked the liver. The Hydra-Shok showed considerable fragmentation and was recovered at the base of the skull. It weighs about 114 gr.

There was not one drop of blood between shot #1 and the final shot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I enjoy the challenge of taking deer with the guns I routinely carry, so that's the impetus for using a fixed sight service revolver on this occasion. I've taken 6 deer with the old .45 ACP from service style pistols and the performance was MUCH better in comparison. I haven't given up on taking a few more with some other .357 revolvers but I'll be very deliberate in choosing the shots I take based on this one experience.

Last edited by 41magfan; 06/09/15.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member