Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you can't figure out how to kill something with virtually any bullet made in every cartridge made, you might want find something even easier than golf, because this stuff (killing shid) is probably easier than golf.
There is a lot to be said for searching for the bullet that serves your particular purpose the best. My purpose in hunting is to garner some good meat, so I don't intentionally blow up large muscle groups on animals. I could just as easily say that if someone too inept to find an animal that has been shot through the lungs and ran a few yards, they should stick with something less strenuous than hunting.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As mentioned, the Barnes do kill well, but I have to admit I've had some results at times I didn't care for. IE when bone wasn't hit, the wounds can sometimes appear FMJish and game traveled quite a ways. If I was forced to go lead free, I personally wouldn't mind something of a TBBCish design with an explosive front end similar to some of the lead free varmint pills on the market.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
What results in a DRT kill today may well result in a tracking job tomorrow while using the exact same bullet placement with the same projectile on an identical animal.

C
cast10K Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for all the responses guys. For the record I'm not looking/needing/wanting something better... my curiosity was piqued when I saw these non-toxic varmint bullets.

And Royce is right, if you're looking for something easier than shooting/hunting, golf ain't it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Nosler partition......almost 70 years of kicking ass.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider

True but I get the idea for creating a lead-free equivalent.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Quando omni flunkus moritati
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by cast10K
Thanks for all the responses guys. For the record I'm not looking/needing/wanting something better... my curiosity was piqued when I saw these non-toxic varmint bullets.

Lehigh Defense has developed a fragmenting mono that is CNC machined from solid copper or brass (Controlled Chaos bullet). A hunting buddy has been shooting hogs with his 300 BLK using the 110gr Controlled Chaos with good success.

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/bullets

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by cast10K
What's the likelihood that we'll see---- lead-free bullets----designed to shed weight?

A friendly observation, that's all.

IMO the OP asked (axed) about 'lead free' fragmenting bullets.

As much as I respect Nos Part, they're not lead free.

I sincerely hope we ALL are not required to go lead free.

Some or a few people think N Ps are failures. I'm not one of them. Since they perform exactly as designed and advertised HOW can they be called failures??

I also know FREAK things happen occasionally even with N Ps.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Originally Posted by JGRaider

True but I get the idea for creating a lead-free equivalent.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is just darned cool! That picture would be hung above my mantle!

I think nowadays there are plenty of good mono's out there. I think I would increase the twist a little to get some more bullet action on the outer limits, but the few I have used worked okay..

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ready
Brenneke TAG

[Linked Image]

Jaguar Classic

[Linked Image]

SAX KJG

[Linked Image]

One would think, a three-picture essay answering the OPs question would get an reaction, but it seems on-topic replies are an estranged concept these days - with irrelevant tangents being the norm.

The above are exactly as asked for - fragmenting monos.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brenneke TAG

[Linked Image]

Jaguar Classic

[Linked Image]

SAX KJG

[Linked Image]

One would think, a three-picture essay answering the OPs question would get an reaction, but it seems on-topic replies are an estranged concept these days - with irrelevant tangents being the norm.

The above are exactly as asked for - fragmenting monos.

Where can I buy?

Quando omni flunkus moritati
C
cast10K Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Sorry I wasn't more direct in thanking you specifically... appreciate you went out of your way to provide pics. Do you have experience with any of these?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

.... but it seems on-topic replies are an estranged concept these days - with irrelevant tangents being the norm.

Ready, I counted at least 8 responses directly addressing the OP, not counting mine which pointed out that N Pts are not lead free.

I also very much appreciate your response w/ pics. I was not aware of those bullets nor their characteristics. Thanks

Last edited by jwall; 06/11/15.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A big game version of

[Linked Image]

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't think I want a bullet that turned into powdered metal in the first couple inches for a hunting bullet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the Brenneke TAG Bullet an EMail to infobrennekeusa.com might turn up some information.

The Sax and the Jaguar are sold in Europe. I have no information on sales in the US.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have some 180 grain GSC's loaded in the 35 Whelen right now. Hoping to get out and shoot them soon. I believe they are another that will shed some petals if they are driven hard enough. Never fired one of them, but they might be another decent option.

Those Euro bullets look pretty devastating and as MD mentioned, they get to shoot a lot of animals with them.

Anyone ever see how the Lapua Naturalis bullet? I have seen them advertised but never seen a fired one?

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Probably ought to say this.

I am going to be working up some 270 loads for the 80 grain TSX. Barnes data shows that running at over 3900 maxed out. Even poking one of those between ribs a person probably ought to expect the petals to come off. Whether they hold together or shed petals though I just can't see it making any difference at that kind of speed. The lungs will turn into red soup and the end will come quickly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am primarily a handgun hunter and I have used CEB bullets on a number of animals. I shot a couple of small wild hogs with my .480 Ruger SRH loaded with 220 grain Raptors at 1,700 fps. I neck shot one and one of the petals actually bisected the animal's heart. I was actually fairly impressed with the results.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Royce
I could just as easily say that if someone too inept to find an animal that has been shot through the lungs and ran a few yards, they should stick with something less strenuous than hunting.

You COULD say that. And you COULD be right where you hunt. And you COULD be wrong in other areas.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.