Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Budget is around $3K now (bumped up a bit). It will be kept inside, not in garage. Looked at and liked, in no particular order:

Liberty Fat Boy
Mesa
American Security
Winchester

If you think there's something I should be looking at, would appreciate a heads up.

Thanks,
LD

Last edited by local_dirt; 06/11/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Consider a Champion in your price range. Very good quality. Depends on the size you need whether a specific brand will fit into your budget.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
For $3k, I would probably buy 2 $1500 safes. You will runout of space no matter what you bu.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get one 2x-3x bigger than what you currently need.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The reason I left the question so open-ended is because I've looked at so much minutia detail I was starting to drive myself crazy.

Whatever you're using that works well, I wouldn't mind hearing about it.

Looking for a good fire rating, tool time to defeat at least 30 mins, and hold up to 30 long guns. Can fill in the rest with what I've got now, for the time being.

Long term plan is to eventually split inventory between 2 residences.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Been looking and comparing safes for a while now. Came to the conclusion (in my mind anyway) that the Winchester safes, as sold at Tractor Supply company offer the most bang for the buck. The big features that sold me were: (1) The external hinges allow door to open a lot further then internal hinges. (2) Nicely finished interior with a lot of possible shelf adjustments.(3) Locking bolts all the way around the whole door. (4) Slightly higher fire rating then other safes in it's price range. (5) Supposedly better combination lock (La Gard) then other safes in it's price range. (6) Door organizer included w safe (option on most others). I know some of the other safes like Fort Knox are made better, but not 300% better---- $549.00 to roughly $1600-$2000 in price. That being said, You get what you pay for. If you feel you need the best and most secure, I would look to the Fort Knox brand. JMHO. I did purchase the Winchester about 1 month ago and have to say I love it so far and I am content with my decision so far.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Another bit of advice. If thinking about getting a 30 to 50 gun size safe (which are very heavy and almost nonmoveable when in place) you may want to consider getting two 24 gun safes instead. This way if you need to move them to another place someday it is much easier to do so. Good luck on your decision and keep us informed on your choice!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My dad has one of these:

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/

it is nice because it breaks down so you can move it.

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, mack. I see servicemen using them so they can break them down and take them to their next location.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
robert, thanks for your reply. Fort Knox was one of the brands I deliberately didn't mention in original post because I was requesting input, not confirmation.

Thanks again.

Best Wishes,
LD

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Am looking at new ones myself right now, and keep coming back to AmSec (American Security - BF7240 is the one I'm considering). It's definitely more expensive than a lot of others, but it's a very nice safe!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
At one time, I was searching for a safe with excellent fire ratings. Then someone who had made a career of investigating fires offered the insight that he had never seen a situation where the fire resistance of the safe saved the guns inside.

So I lowered the bar on heat resistance, figuring that safe or no safe, guns in a fire will be flash rusted. That made a big difference in price.

JMO, but bolting to the floor probably helps theft resistance more than a little extra steel in the construction.

Good luck in your search.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, fellas. Am in agreement on fire rating. That gets skewed in marketing. I'm more interested in TL (tool time) rating. And it will be getting bolted to concrete reinforced flooring.

BTW- Not asking these questions only for myself. Figure this is knowledge that should be getting shared here.

Last edited by local_dirt; 06/11/15.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PM sent

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Check out sturdysafe.com they are well built with US Steel, non sheet rock fire protection and offered with many options. Also contact for pricing as sometimes you can get a sale price.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I get another safe or move it's going to be one I can assemble where I want it.

Such safes are made by Zanotti, Snap Safe and others.

[Linked Image]

"When the debate is lost insults become the tool of the loser"
Socrates

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
dipchit don and his fall apart safe

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by local_dirt
The reason I left the question so open-ended is because I've looked at so much minutia detail I was starting to drive myself crazy.

Whatever you're using that works well, I wouldn't mind hearing about it.

Looking for a good fire rating, tool time to defeat at least 30 mins, and hold up to 30 long guns. Can fill in the rest with what I've got now, for the time being.

Long term plan is to eventually split inventory between 2 residences.

Tool time of 30 minutes puts you in UL Tl-30 rating territory which eliminates all but a very few gun safes. All except Amsec, Graffunder & the like. I've heard Ft. Knox is now offering a rebranded Tl rated safe that probably comes with the Ft. Knox price tag..

I can vouch for Amsec's RF 6528 as I've had one about a year now and and its nice, and an everyday burglar probably could beat on it for a month and not accomplish much more than scratch the paint. But its heavy as fook and you need a place that can support a safe as heavy as it is and a real safe guy that can move one. I've also have an Amsec BF and its also a darn nice safe with 1/2" plate door and composite fire construction. The new BF HD with the 1/4" liner would probably be a good option to look into since it does meet B rating specs and has Amsecs composite fire lining as well.

Last edited by DavidReed; 06/11/15.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
One of my safes is a Zanotti that I have owned for years. I am very satisfied with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i would go to tractor supply and buy the 40in x 72in that they sell for 1100.00. all of the 800-1500.00 safes are pretty much the same. steel lined with drywall for fire proofing.all of them will stop 90% of the thieves. none would stop a pro.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,011
Posts18,500,238
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.