-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, okay.... surely I'm not the only one that thinks this is ironic, but I digress.

GB1

M
mbhunt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
270, I'm sorry you got hit in my shrapnel lol. Congrats on your archery tag. I'm a non res so I have been waiting a long time for this tag and just trying to make it the best hunt I can. I'm not into being guided, I think the search is the best part of the hunt. I'm looking into as many sources of information as I can to develop a game plan. I'm only about 6 hours away from the unit so I will be able to get some scouting done before the hunt. I'm actually thinking of asking Pajama to come be camp cook!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No worries man, I better quit being mean to him grin. Obviously you know it, but that tag you drew is a world class tag. With only a handful of tags instead of the usual hundreds during the late rifle hunt, your competition shouldn't be bad. Like Peeshooter advised, it's a unit with lots of roads, it might be hard to get away from them without a conscious effort. I'm with Peeshooter in that it's obnoxious to put scout an area, just to find lot's of people there. Finding several areas to keep in your back pocket should help alleviate that frustration. There should be plenty of elk,and great potential for world class bulls. I'd be careful not to settle for a mediocre bull if I waited long for the tag like you have. Be sure to research the Boquillas ranch. If I understand right, it covers nearly half the unit. I believe there's a fee to hunt it, but I'm sure it's worth every penny. You might contact a few of the game and fish officers assigned to the unit. Hopefully they'd be willing to point you in some good directions for access to areas to scout.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by panjandrum
Somehow i believe that.
good luck, something tells me you wont fill your tag.

^ Ignore the chick with the dick.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
depends on where you are going in 10, that is a big unit. Keep in mind that a good part of the unit is on the boquilla's ranch, which requires a permit. Also keep in mind that weather changes everything, the mud in wet weather is to be seen. Those areas towards the east of the unit seem to me to be more and more restricted.
There are some world class bulls living in the unit. I have not hunted the north of it but have been on the boquilla's and i am trying to think around round mountain, if i remember right. Keep in mind forest service restrictions on what roads one can use today, some are restricted. You really need to locate the elk. That is a LOT of area, and you ain't gonna walk it all. Best idea is first to locate where the elk are at in the unit. Strangely enough, i have shot a couple of elk within about 15minutes of williams, but they were not trophy elk. Recovery is an issue. I was hunting in 8, an adjoining unit a few years ago, during a blizzard. Couple of yahoo's walked about 3miles off a road and popped an elk. They didn't get it out in an hour or two. keep in mind the private property no hunting restrictions more so on the east end, and on the boquilla's they have definite restrictions on entry plus having to pay the dinero.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/13/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Here is more info on Boquilla's:

http://huntbigboranch.com/

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
M
mbhunt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the info guys. The Big Bo is definitely in my plans. The weather is a real concern. I have heard from others as well that it gets sloppy and then your huge hunting unit becomes small real quick. I've got a few areas on the Bo I'm going to check out already. Hoping to find a good location for camping while I'm there that has at least some good areas close to it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had that tag 2 years ago and didn't kill one. Passed several "350" class and finally missed a bull I thought was 370 the last day. Hunted the boquillas most of the time. Hard to get away from other hunters when lots of the elk go out in the flats at night to breeding places. 2 partners killed Bulls that we ambushed on their way to water and breeding sites in late afternoon. Both east and west of Keeseha are good starting points

Fourth Generation Border Rat
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have hunted 10 when I lived down there for a while. Lots of roads. The way it is set up now, I would hunt the boquillas. It is a minimal fee, and 4 wheelers are prohibited, as are horses from outside the ranch. They had problems with sickness being brought in and infecting their horses, or so the story goes. So I'd try to formulate a plan for retrieval. You might check with the ranch to see if they have any suggestions.

M
mbhunt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
You have better resolve than me lol. I put "350" as the goal to shoot for so if I see one close to that I think my tag will be punched!

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 1lesfox, 222ND, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,027 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,875
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.