Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by conrad101st
Why taper off at all. The main thing is to avoid injuries right before you peak.
I'm running ramps (wind sprints) 3 days per week to burn the lungs and squatting 2 times per week. I figure if I do my last work out Tuesday with a ramp day, pack the truck Wednesday and drive West with a Starbucks in hand, while listening to Alive by Pearl Jam, I'll be recovered just perfectly for hump in on Friday morning.

Hmmmm. Your last day of resistance training would be Monday, and the pack in would be Friday?

That sounds like tapering off to me. grin

Yes 1 extra day off instead of my Monday & Thursday squat routine if you want to call it tapering. :-)~

Typical hump in:
[Linked Image]

Hopefully the hump out:
[Linked Image]

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
GB1

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since you aren't in the Olympics, just stay in shape and go hunting. If your guide is half your age his working aerobic heart rate will be quite a bit higher than yours and if he is in any kind of shape you will make a good accounting of yourself but won't be in the same league. As stated, pace yourself and enjoy.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Stay in shape and go hunting, why didn't I think of that?

Thanks!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Considering this a little the last few days and have arrived at that your body will tell you if you pay attention. Legs tired, work on something else. Lost your enthusiasm, give it a short break. You haven't lost your desire if the habit is ingrained.

Read an article yesterday by an exercise therapist that said after two weeks off you start to lose gains, but your foundation is still there. Two months and you have pretty much lost all.

Have been making sure my daily K intake is meeting recommendations and muscle discomfort has improved significantly. Something to this proper balance of minerals.

Another study re diet and macular degeneration, that has pretty much proven for most people diet can have a significant impact on its occurring or its severity if it does.

Last edited by battue; 06/17/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks Harry. But if I lose my enthusiasm I just hang out by the entrance to the yoga room for a while......

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup. You can take two weeks off without losing gains. But once they start going, they'll go quick. Two months is probably right but I hope not to find out ever again. I hurt my shoulder bench pressing a few months back. Not seriously though, so I worked through by repping lighter weight. And I'm battling tennis elbow for the last six weeks. I do as much as my elbow allows me. I don't one rep max anymore. That's always when I get hurt. I use the bench press, deadlift, squat calculators online and compute my one rep max now.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by moosemike
I hurt my shoulder bench pressing a few months back. Not seriously though, so I worked through by repping lighter weight.

Tell me about it. I had my rotator cuff stitched back together and my upper biceps tendon released (cut) six months ago. Two months of nada followed by months of not much. Back to 80-90% now. But pain-free.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anything that works the legs and back (ie squats, deadlifts, etc) I take it a bit easy on the week I leave for a hunt. Not worried about injury as much as I don't want to have ride in a plane or a vehicle for that long with them being sore.

My problem is the post hunt/trip motivation. For me it's very hard to get back into the routine of being at the gym at 5am again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.