-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd say crane or grader, but Horizontal Directional Drilling machines take some finesse

Last edited by Grunt_0351; 06/16/15.

1st Bn 5th Marines Wpns Co. 03-07
Semper Fidelis
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker
I'd go with a grader cutting finished grade.

Crane is pretty simple, the trick is not killing anyone with your load. grin

On another note, ya'll have obviously met some folks that operated equipment, you don't exactly have to be a genius to work one, how hard is it really?

Friend of mine drove a truck most of his life was in the top 5% of Mensa. His brother is a state supreme court justice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

On another note, ya'll have obviously met some folks that operated equipment, you don't exactly have to be a genius to work one, how hard is it really?

the non genius` up here are called seat warmers they can load trucks or sort of build spoil piles and sort of grade excavations , but to cut slope and load trucks at the same time,no, to fine grade so you don`t need a cat or skidsteer to finish, no. I have over 40.000 hours on hoe and am still learning things, pulling levers lots of people can do , doing it right is a different story.

also depends on country your in and what your foreman wants or thinks he wants,

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Road grader is very difficult. Even a novice can hop in a backhoe and dig a hole, or load a truck. Graders take some serious skill.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A good blade hand is the hardest to find.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by SansSouci
I'd go with Rosie O'Donnell as difficult-to-operate heavy machinery.

Personally, I would not advertise that item on your "bucket list", then again you two have so much in common. Did she make you a sandwich too, although my guess is she probably ate it..

No. But the neocon down low is that you're her favorite Latin lover. She said that you can make her tub of Rocky Road melt when you whisper neocon ideology in her ear. Even flies on walls up and died when you guys talked of gun control and foreign intervention, favorites of neocons.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 700LH

Friend of mine drove a truck most of his life was in the top 5% of Mensa. His brother is a state supreme court justice.

I have a friend who drives truck too, couldn't poor piss out of a boot with directions on the heel. grin

My point being that a truck driving Mensa member is probably the exception rather than the rule. Also I am not saying they are a bunch of dumbasses, just that they are typically not Mensa members.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To be a good blade man takes the highest technical expertise.
What you need to be a good crane operator is very good judgement. Technically, it's not all that difficult.
Of course, It's all changing now, with the computers, GPS, lasers, and site mapping, a lot of construction equipment can be run by less skilled people, almost on auto pilot.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Cranes are the worst for me, with a Gradall second.

I agree with this man - but in reverse - gradall take a lot of skill.

I got 38 yrs running most every type of equipment made.

to be good and experienced on either of these is harder than any other equipment - but like anything if you spend enough time in the seat working lots of hrs its get way easy

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What are you referring to with "gradall"? I think blue reach fork when I hear gradall.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this guy is good/ brave/ crazy

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
What are you referring to with "gradall"? I think blue reach fork when I hear gradall.

machine on wheels usually used to clean hwyway ditches long telescoping boomwith rotating bucket,

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Nosler box!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sometimes it's more the working conditions than the equipment that makes operating difficult. Cutting a ditch to 0.070% grade and trying not to get stuck at the same time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Its not the operating that is the hard part of the job on any of the equipment out there. Its the knowing the machine and what it can and can't do, the things you've got to remember to do or not to do to keep from damaging the machine or getting you or others killed. And of course all the things you can run into that can screw up the job. Not to mention all the times that you've got to rely on people that you can't even see. Doesn't take much to ruin your day or the company you work for.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Sometimes it's more the working conditions than the equipment that makes operating difficult. Cutting a ditch to 0.070% grade and trying not to get stuck at the same time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bear, ya need one these!
[Linked Image]

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^^^^^^Yes^^^^^^

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Fellerbuncher!!!! i have run and owned quite a few pieces of heavy construction,and logging equipment, 4 excavators and the john deere 653 E fellerbuncher with Timbco sawhead was the most difficult and frustrating machine i ever owned and ran. Imagine a tracked excavator with 6 more functions on the joystick, cutting off 60-100 foot trees juggling them ,swinging around and placing them where you want them!!!! the guys that run them will know, and those that haven't should give it a try sometime,oh ya i forgot you are hardly ever on flat ground,mostly on steep slopes rocking on stumps and boulders !!!!!!! grin grin

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by White_Bear

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yes things like this most people do not understand, and d under / around fiber, elect. primary, swer mains, communication lines. add in some over head lines to watch out for, yeap any Tom Dick or Harry can run a hoe.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 5 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,417
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.