Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tom, Looks like you had a great time. Nice deer and I might have to check the place out myself.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
OK, I just contacted them,
I've bene looking at Argentina but there's an issue traveling with firearms, and when I add the flight costs, it's about the same as Texas.
Hoping to combine Axis and Blackbuck.

Hancock

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
ingwe Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
They should be able to accommodate that combo no problem. Hope you have a good time!
Plus...you can bring home the meat!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Congrats Ingwe,

Great looking deer and I think anyone who goes to TX and doesn't have fun, isn't trying very hard. Like many others, Axis and Blackbuck is on my bucket list.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Congrats on a fine looking buck for sure and as you have shared with the group they are the finest eating venison you can get IMHO.. I started hunting Axis in Texas about 15 years ago to have something to do during the "offseason". I fell in love with these deer and I guess you might say I've become obsessed with them over the years. I've got hundreds of Axis photos and I'll share some if the OP is ok with me adding to his post. Again sir congrats on a fine buck. Elk

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by ingwe
Carl, Thanks. I got home, cut up meat and found that Uncle Randy had mistakenly stuck my hides in my cooler. If the condition is OK on them, I'll have my local taxi do them. My horns are going to Uvalde for a European mount.
The .223AI didn't get used. I took it out, checked it at the target range down there in 92 degree heat and fired one shot. Blew the primer.......H335. Don't let anyone tell you its not temperature sensitive. It will do the same here in a hot barrel or on a hot day....most of my hunting isn't on hot days...
So I put it away and used the Icon .243 loaded with 4064...no problem of course.

My exact finding back in 1996 when I built mine and used some of Steve Timm's data from VH. At the time I was living in Midland and it was hot. Bing...

Varget.....

335 is as nasty as 748... won't find either around my table due to heat issues....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
ingwe Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Congrats on a fine looking buck for sure and as you have shared with the group they are the finest eating venison you can get IMHO.. I started hunting Axis in Texas about 15 years ago to have something to do during the "offseason". I fell in love with these deer and I guess you might say I've become obsessed with them over the years. I've got hundreds of Axis photos and I'll share some if the OP is ok with me adding to his post. Again sir congrats on a fine buck. Elk

Been gone on a PD shooting trip,just got back but please, by all means, post some pics! Im already pondering my next Axis hunt! They are crafty devils and at least as far as outfitted deer hunts go, they are a screaming deal!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Yes sir I agree, I love hunting them. I'll post some photos this evening after work!!

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Ok guys as promised I'll share some Axis photos of live and some not so alive Axis deer. First let me say I've never been one to set still around the house watching TV or staring at the computer. Up until last year when I was transfered out here to Louisiana to hopefully finish my career in the oil field, I lived in a small hill country town west of San Antoino named Uvalde, Texas. I was working 14 on and 14 off so on my days off I used to explore the backroads of the hill country. I took a lot of photos of all sorts of native and exotic game. Some behind high fences and many that were not. Some of my photos were taken during hunting trips. My camera has cost me a few shots a big deer but I can never seem to leave it at home.
I believe the Axis deer is about as pretty as they come. They out compete Whitetailed deer in Texas and eat many plants that WT simply will not eat. No matter the conditions I've never killed one that wasn't fat and slick!! Oh well I'll also post a few of a monster Axis that I photographed in September 2013. If a bigger buck has ever been photographed alive or dead I've certainly not seen it. I hope you guys enjoy the photos but please be kind . I'm an oil field worker not a photographer and some of these photos were taken at great distances. Take Care Folks, Elk is out!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[
[URL=http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/elkhunter49/media/2-18-2014032_zps4e731720.jpg.html][Linked Image]

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 06/29/15.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E

IC B3

ingwe Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Keep 'em coming!

Ive been amazed while running around the hill country the number of exotics running wild and free. Especially axis, but a number of others. Seen a couple monster bucks in the headlights!

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
a few more,[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Keep 'em coming!

Ive been amazed while running around the hill country the number of exotics running wild and free. Especially axis, but a number of others. Seen a couple monster bucks in the headlights!

My Cajun buds would be skinning those... shocked

DF

ingwe Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Wow! Those are some good pics!

DF: The hell of it is that its legal to spotlight exotics in Texas....

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
How about a few of the monster, I never could obtain permission to hunt him. The landowner said the pasture he was in is 1100 acres of thick river bottoms and he had only seen him twice previously and didn't think I could ever find him again even if he let me hunt him. Damn I sure wanted to try. He said he never put an Axis on his place but has had some for over 20 years. Beautiful animal, old and almost solid white on his muzzle. I guess he was at least 12 years old.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I'll post some other exotic photos on a different thread sometime this week if anyone's interested. Later Tater's

ingwe Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Holy Schitt! laugh laugh laugh

You're right, Ive never seen a bigger one anytime, anywhere!

The one pic of the one you killed is a whopper too, nice mass, brows and caudals .

Im gonna have to go do this again, only hunted them twice...this year and last year. Gotta go again!

Last edited by ingwe; 06/29/15.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Wow! Those are some good pics!

DF: The hell of it is that its legal to spotlight exotics in Texas....

I'll post one more photo with a quick explanation, As I mentioned I was living near Uvalde and was sitting on my back porch late one evening with the light off drinking a beer and looking at some of the days photos on my tiny camera screen. Well I kept thinking I could hear something in the dark but my hearing is so poor (too many years in a refinery) that I didn't give it much thought. My wife came out to see if I was coming to bed and she flipped on the porch light and this is what was looking at me. He froze long enough for me to snap one photo before he hauled it with a couple girls in tow!

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Heres a few I've got mounted. This years deer I already posted but I didn't mount him!

Shot this one at last light, beautiful buck. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

ingwe Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
OK.

You Officially SUCK! laugh

But you've given me a goal to shoot for! That one in the last pic is phenomenal!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,590
Posts18,492,128
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.