-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 35 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 34 35
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Abraham Lincoln, a wealthy railroad lawyer intended to see his employers well looked after.

So, his whole deal about "Saving the Union", about which he was quite open and forthcoming throughout, to the extent of publishing it plainly stated in a major newspaper for the whole World to read, during that war, was all a front?

He didn't care about saving the Union at all, only his personal profits from the railroad?

Well, fortunately for him, there was about a half-million OTHER guys, with no stake in the railroad, who DID want to save the Union, and who were prepared to die for that belief.

....at the mercy of Northern financial and manufacturing interests because they had been stripped of their entire economic system. THAT is what an end to slavery meant to the South in 1860.

You're lucky. When I say that slavery was essential to the Southern economy in 1860 I get labelled a "revisionist", and worse, a "Brit" grin

Same thing when I point out that the entire Southern leadership derived their own personal fortunes from the labor of other men, women and children confined in chains (literal or figurative as necessary) and condemned to a life of imprisonment and hard labor.

In fact they even wrote a Constitution specifically designed to protect and preserve that practice ergo their own fortunes. I dunno if every Confederate soldier was sworn to uphold it, it being a sort of Confederate Federal document after all, but they were all in service to states that had ratified said constitution and must have been aware of it.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

You're lucky. When I say that slavery was essential to the Southern economy in 1860 I get labelled a "revisionist", and worse, a "Brit" grin

That's because you always leave out the fact that the war was about the economy, of which slavery was an element. It's like saying WWII was about killing Jews.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lincoln did want to preserve the union yes....even if it meant slavery was legal forever under the 13th amendment (corwin), which isnt taught today

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell

That's because you always leave out the fact that the war was about the economy, of which slavery was an element. It's like saying WWII was about killing Jews.

So Bleeding Kansas et al. before the war was really about the economy, people caring naught for actual principles at all?

And I've oft pointed out that in Southern perception, slavery WAS the economy, by that point they had hopelessly sold themselves out to "Big Cotton", ergo slavery, a process that had been continuing unabated for the previous fifty years.

So much so they believed going into it that they could actually use a cotton export embargo as a club to extort recognition from the Brits.

Considerable irony in the fact that the interrupted exports of Southern cotton, either purposefully by the Confederacy in the beginning, or involuntarily as a result of the subsequent Northern blockade, prompted rapid increases in production elsewhere in the World.

Heck this would have eventually happened anyway even without a war, and the subsequent collapse in cotton prices could have been equally ruinous to the South.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Well, fortunately for him, there was about a half-million OTHER guys, with no stake in the railroad, who DID want to save the Union, and who were prepared to die for that belief.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Useful idiots are always easy enough to find in huge numbers.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
So Bleeding Kansas et al. before the war was really about the economy, people caring naught for actual principles at all?

John Brown was a dupe, a chump, and a useful idiot just like so many people are today with their pet causes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Oh, so they DIDN'T preserve the Union? That whole secession thing was just a sham?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Oh, so they DIDN'T preserve the Union? That whole secession thing was just a sham?

As a point of fact, they didn't. The war destroyed the "Union" as it was known before the war and replaced it with a centralized empire.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob

John Brown was a dupe, a chump, and a useful idiot just like so many people are today with their pet causes.

You might have point, if'n John Brown and his boys were the whole deal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was much more personal than that in the south. People, the majority who never saw a slave, much less owned one, were threatened by an invading force. In Washington it was all about business. (As usual.)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob

You might have point, if'n John Brown and his boys were the whole deal.

Oh, I have a point and I just used John Brown as an example. There were many others.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As a point of fact, they didn't. The war destroyed the "Union" as it was known before the war and replaced it with a centralized empire.

...which went on to save the World, twice, and provide for its citizens (including you and me) and the Free World a higher degree of freedom and material prosperity than humanity has ever known.

Call me a proud Citizen cool

I know you would call prob'ly call me a "Dupe", 'mongst other things... grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And lincoln is like john kerry
"He actually voted for it before he voted against it (slavery)" LOL

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

...which went on to save the World, twice, and provide for its citizens (including you and me) and the Free World a higher degree of freedom and material prosperity than humanity has ever known.

Call me a proud Citizen cool

I know you would call prob'ly call me a "Dupe", 'mongst other things... grin

Not as high a degree of freedom as was enjoyed BEFORE the Civil War.

And, no, America did not save the world twice. Our unnecessary entry into WW I took a European conflict that was more or less at a stalemate and tipped the balance away from the Germans. Our entry prompted the Germans to send Lenin to Russia in hopes of ending the war there and freeing those troops to end the war in the West before the Americans arrived in force. Our troops provided the margin for victory in the west and our subsequent withdrawal from the peace process set the stage for the monstrously unfair treaty that directly lead to Hitler and the NAZIs.

Lots to be proud of as an American, but no, we didn't save the world. Our abandonment of our principles of nonintervention in order to go to Europe in 1917 damned near ended it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
People, the majority who never saw a slave, much less owned one, were threatened by an invading force.

The majority of Southerners never saw a Black guy?

None of the 3.5 million slaves scattered throughout the South? Heck, in most of Mississippi and South Carolina you could scarcely throw a rock without hitting a slave. Here in Texas, ONE THIRD of the population was enslaved by the other two thirds, most of 'em in your neck of the woods where their descendants remain today (around here there weren't much cotton and besides, the unfree help had an irritating tendency to hoof it for Mexico, wherein they would be free).

...and likewise secession wasn't front page news in every newspaper in America?

...and there weren't enthusiastic Secession Conventions across the Southern States long before they ever saw a Yankee wherein they were SURE they could whip the Yankees in a month or two?

...and the wording in the Confederate Constitution was irrelevant?

Birdwatcher

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
and there weren't enthusiastic Secession Conventions across the Southern States long before they ever saw a Yankee wherein they were SURE they could whip the Yankees in a month or two?

What does secession have to do with invasion? The north was free to let the South go without invading them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Texas. I can't speak for the people plowing a 40 acre farm in the back woods of Tennessee. Slave owners weren't the one's manning the cannons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still want someone to answer where Lincoln got his constitutional authority to use force to preserve the Union?

Where does the Constitution say the POTUS may do that?

I was so hoping Birdwatcher would answer this for me whistle

Last edited by hillbillybear; 06/29/15.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SAKO75
And lincoln is like john kerry
"He actually voted for it before he voted against it (slavery)" LOL

You do a profound disservice to the man.

Lincoln, as he so plainly stated, did whatever he could to preserve the Union. If that meant preserving that noxious and entirely toxic institution where it already existed in order to forestall secession he was for that.

After the bullets were flying anyway, as early as 1862 he was moving towards eradicating that divisive vileness everywhere it existed.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
I still want someone to answer where Lincoln got his constitutional authority to use force to preserve the Union?

Where does the Constitution say the POTUS may do that?

I was so hoping Birdwatcher would answer this for me whistle

Do you wish the United States had divided in 1861?

Page 18 of 35 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 34 35

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,891
Posts18,518,343
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.