Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 35 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 34 35
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
One more time:
War Department, Washington, April 15, 1861. To His Excellency the Governor of Virginia: Sir: Under the act of Congress for calling forth "militia to execute the laws of the Union, suppress insurrections, repel invasions, etc.," approved February 28, 1795, I have the honor to request your Excellency to cause to be immediately detached from the militia of your State the quota designated in the table below, to serve as infantry or rifleman for the period of three months, unless sooner discharged. Your Excellency will please communicate to me the time, at or about, which your quota will be expected at its rendezvous, as it will be met as soon as practicable by an officer to muster it into the service and pay of the United States.

— Simon Cameron, Secretary of War.

Executive Department, Richmond, Va., April 15, 1861. Hon. Simon Cameron, Secretary of War: Sir: I have received your telegram of the 15th, the genuineness of which I doubted. Since that time I have received your communications mailed the same day, in which I am requested to detach from the militia of the State of Virginia "the quota assigned in a table," which you append, "to serve as infantry or rifleman for the period of three months, unless sooner discharged." In reply to this communication, I have only to say that the militia of Virginia will not be furnished to the powers at Washington for any such use or purpose as they have in view. Your object is to subjugate the Southern States, and a requisition made upon me for such an object - an object, in my judgment, not within the purview of the Constitution or the act of 1795 - will not be complied with. You have chosen to inaugurate civil war, and, having done so, we will meet it in a spirit as determined as the administration has exhibited toward the South.

— Respectfully, John Letcher

VA, NC, TN, AR left the union after the call for troops.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No. We just wish America had not been ruined by the greed of tyrants.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
I still want someone to answer where Lincoln got his constitutional authority to use force to preserve the Union?

Where does the Constitution say the POTUS may do that?

I was so hoping Birdwatcher would answer this for me whistle

Do you wish the United States had divided in 1861?

Answering a question with a question.

You gave 4ager crap for having nothing, I guess this is your moment in the limeylight....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I still want someone to answer where Lincoln got his constitutional authority to use force to preserve the Union?

Does that matter constitutionally speaking? Are you alleging that for you, like the communists, and any other lawless regime in the history of the world, that the ends justify the means?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Slave owners weren't the one's manning the cannons.

..and they weren't the ones systematically lynching those who disagreed with secession either...

..but they WERE the ones fighting for a Constitution that enshrined slavery...

...or were they unaware of that fact?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RWE

Answering a question with a question.

You gave 4ager crap for having nothing, I guess this is your moment in the limeylight....

Yep

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Answer the question and "school" me on History.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SAKO75
And lincoln is like john kerry
"He actually voted for it before he voted against it (slavery)" LOL

You do a profound disservice to the man.

Lincoln, as he so plainly stated, did whatever he could to preserve the Union. If that meant preserving that noxious and entirely toxic institution where it already existed in order to forestall secession he was for that.

After the bullets were flying anyway, as early as 1862 he was moving towards eradicating that divisive vileness everywhere it existed.

Birdwatcher
the disservice is the fact that there are memorials and movies that dont actually represent lincoln, they represent the good, not the bad. So if the south had accepted the corwin amendment, i guess lincolns greatness woulve never been known? Slavery wouldve gone on and lincoln wouldnt be known as the great emancipator but the union wouldve stayed in tact.

So this all goes back to the battle flag, some say it stands for slavery, well so did lincoln depending on what year it was

The disservice being done in the south to our flag and monuments currently outweighs anything ive said about lincoln....and thats my point, lincoln wouldnt be near as popular had history taught everything were talking about here....
im not so sure the people wanting our confederate monumnets would love lincoln had he preserved the union by getting the corwin amendment accepted into the 13th amendment

Last edited by SAKO75; 06/29/15.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Does that matter constitutionally speaking? Are you alleging that for you, like the communists, and any other lawless regime in the history of the world, that the ends justify the means?

Quit avoiding the question.

Anyhow, you forgot George Washington and the rest of Founding Fathers....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Speaking of avoiding questions:

I was so hoping Birdwatcher would answer this for me.

If he can. whistle

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

Of course, I wish it had divided. I thought that was clear.

So, now, how does that matter constitutionally speaking?

As for George Washington and the others, your attempts are pretty childish at best. The right of revolution once the consent of the governed is withdrawn is the very basis of America. But then again, if you don't know that...

Last edited by JoeBob; 06/29/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I was so hoping Birdwatcher would answer this for me.

What's the matter? The Constitution got you by the tongue?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Does any of this matter?

The American Civil War ended in June 1865, just over 150 years ago.

It's over, done, can't get a mulligan and do it over with 20/20 hindsight.

Why not expend your energy on something that you might actually be able to influence?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You mean like you avoided hillbillybear's?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The men who enlisted to fight for the Confederate States of America were more varied in motivations and backgrounds than what is commonly realized or known... etc, etc...

Well done cool

Now, the next questions:

What happened to those that were pro-Union in the South?

What happened to those that refused to enlist, on principle?

Birdwatcher

What does that have to do with whether the flag in question represents slavery as opposed to warring against tyranny?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

Oh, it's pretty clear where he stands. Lawlessness by those in power is fine and dandy as long as they are in favor of an end that he finds morally good. That is his answer. He has admitted as much with that question.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Does any of this matter?

The American Civil War ended in June 1865, just over 150 years ago.

It's over, done, can't get a mulligan and do it over with 20/20 hindsight.

Why not expend your energy on something that you might actually be able to influence?

It matters because you have to have an understanding of history to get why things are today as they are. You can't worship Lincoln and curse Obama. They are the same. They both see something they think needs done and they are doing it, regardless of the constitution or the law.

And more importantly, the actions of Lincoln directly paved the was for Obama. If Lincoln hadn't settled the issue of states' rights and secession by force of arms, one essential check on the power of the federal government would not be in the dustbin of history.

Lincoln was a tool of the industrialists and the bankers. He delivered this republic gift wrapped into their greedy hands. He enslaved us all, ostensibly to free the slaves.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll fly what I want, say what I want and do what I want.

I don't give a flying sh*t what the goobermint thinks up.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

It matters because you have to have an understanding of history to get why things are today as they are. You can't worship Lincoln and curse Obama. They are the same. They both see something they think needs done and they are doing it, regardless of the constitution or the law.

And more importantly, the actions of Lincoln directly paved the was for Obama. If Lincoln hadn't settled the issue of states' rights and secession by force of arms, one essential check on the power of the federal government would not be in the dustbin of history.

Lincoln was a tool of the industrialists and the bankers. He delivered this republic gift wrapped into their greedy hands. He enslaved us all, ostensibly to free the slaves.

Well said sir. This was exactly how we started down the road to the mess we're in.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've previously said Lincoln was evil. I should probably back up on that. He probably believed he was doing what was best for the country. That said, if we were to be a nation of laws, then we can't break them in order to achieve even a noble end.

Once Caesar crossed the Rubicon, the Republic was over. It mattered not that he didn't intend to end the Republic. It mattered not that he did it to fight corruption in Rome or that his personal survival left him no choice. That single act led to his dictatorship and the eventual ascension of his adopted son, Augustus. And it was under Augustus that every single meaningful power of the Republic was concentrated under the rule of one man.

That is sort of where were are today. Lincoln was Caesar and Obama is his spiritual heir. He grasps power and holds it using the same powers and precedents Lincoln initiated. Would Lincoln approve? I don't know and it doesn't matter. A father might not approve of his child, but he can never completely absolve himself of responsibility for his raising.

Page 19 of 35 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 34 35

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 59 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,911
Posts18,518,659
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.