Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hello All,
<br>
<br>Nope, I didn't kill an elk [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>This post isn't so much about elk hunting as it is about elk hunters.
<br>
<br>I arrived 5 days prior to my Colorado elk hunt to get used to the altitude - which I didn't find as a problem. We hunted between 8700 feet to as high as 11,000 feet. Based on a local hunter that has was born, raised and lived in Colorado all of his 60 plus years I took his advice - with regards to elk hunting. He knew the mountains and all of the trails like the back side of his hand. This guy put his 1/2 ton deisel truck in places I would never even think of putting a 4 wheel drive truck. He was kind enough to take me on many trails and explain to me the "typical" travel routes of the elk. Of course those routes changed after the first day with all the pressure on the elk. I had an elk call (cow call) given to me and was instructed how and when to use it. I practiced for 4 days until I made the sounds I was supposed to be making with it. The first time I tried it - it sounded like a ruptured duck LOL. I learned to be quite good at it after 4 days of practice. On the second day (4 days prior to the season) Rich (the local guy) and myself walked into this small meadow (at 10,500 feet) and he gave a cow call, one responded. We could hear the cow on the other side of some pine trees not more then 100 feet away - it was kind of neat. I then tried my cow call and it responded. We could hear the elk walking in the pines but we never saw it. Then the wind shifted and it was gone - we could hear it running away - wow are they noisy.
<br>
<br>After several days of scouting (with Rich) and following his advice we developed a game plan for opening day. I sat on the edge of that same meadow all morning. I never saw or heard an elk. One other buddy did see 8 cows but he only had a bull tag. Two of the other guys in our party saw elk but again, all cows and all they had were bull tags.
<br>
<br>On the third day Rich and I sat on a bluff overlooking a valley where he said he has seen elk many times. We sat and glassed this valley for about 30 minutes. I took several readings with my Leica 1200 range finder and determined my longest shot would be 550 yards, well within my range. We did watch a buck (mule deer) checking a doe for about 15 minutes at 280 yards. Rich estimated that mule deer buck at 24" inside and a nice 4 X 4. Rich isn't the type that likes to sit for very long so he told me he was going to walk along the top edge of this meadow and drop down into the pines to see if he could "kick" anything out. Through an opening in the trees I could see him walking along the edge - getting in position to make his "drive". I sat on top of that mesa until it was to dark to see in the valley. I figured at that point I would walk around thru (a burned area) the trees and back to the edge of the meadow. As I cleared the trees I saw 10 animals out on the meadow. One animal on the far left of the group was looking right at me. That bull (found out later it was a bull) made me at 550 yards. I ducked back along the edge and gained 200 yards on the feeding animals. The next time I popped over the edge I started to go prone, just then I stepped on a branch on the ground - they all spooked. I remembered what Rich had told me earlier in the week. I bleeped on the cow call. The entire group slammed on the brakes and looked my way. By this time I was prone and trying to get on the last animal. Had I had 2 more seconds I would of squeezed the trigger, but they bolted again. Again I gave a "bleep" on the cow call, again they stopped - 2 where still visable to me. Again, I needed a couple of more seconds. It didn't happen. Those where the only elk I saw the entire 5 days of the season.
<br>
<br>What really got me was the other hunters on the various mountains we hunted. I have never run across a more freindly goup of people anywhere and there where hunters from all over the country. In fact it was almost rare to see a vehicle with Colorado license plates. Two of my buddies walked this one valley for 2 miles and when they popped out there where to guys from Texas driving by - on this cow path. The guys from Texas gave them a lift back to their truck - 7 miles by dirt road. On another occasion myself and a local drove one section towards other hunters we had sitting in a valley. This very friendly gentleman (Wayne) from West Virginia was driving by in his Chevy crew cab and offered us a ride back up the mountain. I must of ran across at least 50 other hunters in the 9 days I spent in the mountains and very single one of them where very friendly people. Quite a few times I would pop out of the woods to smell something cooking in one of the tent camps set up all over. I remember one group form Oklahoma that offered me some stew and a soda. I carried my 30lb pack and rifle and had my food and drink with me but I did thank them for their kind offers. I ran across 4 guys from Missouri that insisted I take a break and share some of their food and soda's. These guys made some of the best stew I ever ate. I thanked everybody for their hospitallity. We often hear negative stories of slob hunters and such. It sure was refreshing to meet with such nice people from all across the country enjoying the outdoors. What really amazed me was that nearly every vehicle I came across had the keys in the ignition and nobody around. When I asked the locals about it they told me that is standard practice. Nobody bothers anybody else's stuff. After the first day I would leave my truck along the side of a dirt road, keys in the ignition, window part way down and nobody bothered anything. That sure was refreshing. I didn't have to concern myself with loosing my keys since I left them in the ignition.
<br>
<br>In 9 days of walking up and down the various mountains I lost 18lbs and I ate like a horse. One night we were invited to dinner at a locals house whereby I ate 2 T-bone steaks (16oz each), all sorts of side dishes and chocolate cake and ice cream. Such friendly people. I wish ALL people where as friendly [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Although I didn't kill any elk I had a great time with very nice people. I enjoyed the great outdoors and the people that I shared it with - hunters.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Don, Glad you had such a good time, However, there are parts of Colorado you do not want to leave the keys in the ignition, Southern part especially

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi Saddle,
<br>
<br>I was in the southern part - unit 80.
<br>
<br>I had more trouble with the cops in Kansas on the way home. Got stopped 3 times. They thought I "may" of been that idiot in Virginia and Maryland killing all those people cause I drive a similar vehicle.
<br>
<br>In any case I arrived home safe and sound and 18lbs lighter - which isn't a bad thing [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don, what saddlesore was talking about is just over the big mountain to the West of where you hunted or down around the state line South of Alamosa. The Indian reservations are not as bad now but still bad. I leave keys with truck for companions but hid close by. You start talking long range shooting and you will find they are not as friendly except for your paid guide who will keep you out of the action. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
NO. You are indeed correct. mM neighbor's truck was broken into twice in two years southwest of Alamosa and thier camp robbed once

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Saddle,
<br>
<br>In that case I am glad I didn't hunt southwest of Alamosa. Thanks for the warning.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 53 invisible), 18,828 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,855
Posts18,537,592
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.