Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
Heck, I'd trade pulls from a jug with any of ya!!

Life's too short not to....

I've said many times on here I'd hunt and fish with any of 'em.
It's all in good fun.

Course, there's 2 or 3 I'd make damn sure they had a miserable time.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel

It is real easy to say no when there is no skin in the game. How about if that hunt was the "Big Five" all expenses paid, no limit. Don't tell me you wouldn't go with a few of the bottom feeders...

This would be a worst case scenario for me! It hurts just to imagine two long airplane rides and a couple of weeks in camp with someone you don't like. At least if you were in North America, you could quit and go home anytime you'd like and with a lot less aggravation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hunting is sacred to me,

there's a bunch of guys on here that I'd love to hunt with

probably many more that I enjoy but don't feel I know well enough to determine such

some I'd probably not bother with

and some that would be fun to hunt them! (not to shoot anyone, mind you, just to see if they'd talk the same chit in person that they do here)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
hunting is sacred to me ......

Randy;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you and your fine family doing acceptably well.

I've got to say that the closest I've ever felt that I was in the presence of what I took to be God was on a mountain just west of here chasing mulies. The very air was electric somehow - oh and though I can't recall if I killed a buck that day, I surely took a few off of it over the years and it's that moment that remains crystal clear in my increasingly foggy memory.

You and I have - I believe anyway - had some of this conversation previously, but one of the precious things about surviving a few tough experiences in life is the perspective it allows us to gain.

Honestly speaking then Randy, although I'd enjoy having a visit and a beverage of choice with almost anyone here at our cyber 'Fire, the list of those I'd choose to spend time with afield is decidedly brief.

What I personally derive from hunting - and seemingly like a salmon swimming upstream am driven to do - isn't something that I perhaps should or even can share with most people outside my immediate family.

Hopefully that makes sense and doesn't come across as being elitist, nonetheless it's where I've arrived at somehow.

As always it's nice to share ether space with you sir. All the best to you and yours this summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It is real easy to say no when there is no skin in the game. How about if that hunt was the "Big Five" all expenses paid, no limit. Don't tell me you wouldn't go with a few of the bottom feeders...

That would make anyone a top-water feeder in my book. whistle whistle

...almost...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
If a person reaches the ignore stage for me, I just treat them as if they were no longer still on the planet.
If they just agitate me, and make me say rude things though, no, I would not hunt with them.
Life is too short to date ugly women, drink cheap whiskey, be a liberal, or hunt with fellows you think are a POS.

What Sam said... (above) !

Sharing a hunting camp with good men is a "joy". Sharing one with a jerk is torture. It's all about "camaraderie", my friends. smile

You only go around ONCE in this life... make sure the "trip" is a good one. grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Randy;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you and your fine family doing acceptably well.

I've got to say that the closest I've ever felt that I was in the presence of what I took to be God was on a mountain just west of here chasing mulies. The very air was electric somehow - oh and though I can't recall if I killed a buck that day, I surely took a few off of it over the years and it's that moment that remains crystal clear in my increasingly foggy memory.

You and I have - I believe anyway - had some of this conversation previously, but one of the precious things about surviving a few tough experiences in life is the perspective it allows us to gain.

Honestly speaking then Randy, although I'd enjoy having a visit and a beverage of choice with almost anyone here at our cyber 'Fire, the list of those I'd choose to spend time with afield is decidedly brief.

What I personally derive from hunting - and seemingly like a salmon swimming upstream am driven to do - isn't something that I perhaps should or even can share with most people outside my immediate family.

Hopefully that makes sense and doesn't come across as being elitist, nonetheless it's where I've arrived at somehow.

As always it's nice to share ether space with you sir. All the best to you and yours this summer.

Dwayne

It's easier to find a good wife than it is a good hunting partner.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ron_T
If a person reaches the ignore stage for me, I just treat them as if they were no longer still on the planet.
If they just agitate me, and make me say rude things though, no, I would not hunt with them.
Life is too short to date ugly women, drink cheap whiskey, be a liberal, or hunt with fellows you think are a POS.

Sharing a hunting camp with good men is a "joy". Sharing one with a jerk is torture. It's all about "camaraderie", my friends. smile

You only go around ONCE in this life... make sure the "trip" is a good one. grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
several yrs ago i went fishing with a couple of buddy's in one of their boats, off shore. Davey invited a friend of his at the last minute who happened to be drunk. nothing worse than being in a boat 20 miles offshore with a drunk azzhole, Davey had to head in before mikeor i killed that guy.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
After a long drawn out debate with JeffO on La Raza or something, where I presented facts and he presented feelings.

He ended with saying, and yet we may end up in a hunting camp together some day.

My answer was... nope...

Kent

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Randy;

Dwayne

It's easier to find a good wife than it is a good hunting partner.

With the rate of divorce these days, the numbers might not be so far apart...

As an aside, i am glad to see that most won't lower their standards, even if it was a once in a lifetime hunt they could not afford any other way. My feelings are exactly the same.

We work all year long and hunting is one of those relaxing times, to have to spend it with an a hole, without being needled or sent to jail for the rest of my life, would be very tough and not nearly worth it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
several yrs ago i went fishing with a couple of buddy's in one of their boats, off shore. Davey invited a friend of his at the last minute who happened to be drunk. nothing worse than being in a boat 20 miles offshore with a drunk azzhole, Davey had to head in before mikeor i killed that guy.
seriously thought about leaving him on a rig and calling the coast guard to go get him.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I have been out fishing offshore with drunk azzholes before and also night fishing out in the middle of nowhere. Both suck, I'm telling you.

Last edited by local_dirt; 06/30/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The reason I never got into guiding for money was getting stuck with some ass and having to put up with them.

Guiding for free I can just load my camp and leave, which I've done.

It's always interesting what those in the business think us others would put up with for a free 'hunt'.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I went on a hunting/camping trip with a guy that was the administrator of a faculty I had a consulting contract with. He is an okay guy.... until he starts drinking. IMO some people should not drink... at all... ever.

I lied and said I was getting "the runny [bleep]"... and had to hike out that night.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well you've got daughters and I've got sons........ blush

that'd make us family I reckon!

and on the plus side, if one of mine ever mistreated whomever he takes as a wife, all her daddy would have left to stomp on is the scraps of him I'd leave.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tracks
If he provided you with a free hunt?
This subject came up in a conversation last night and it was suggested that the board be asked.

It's an interesting question. "Unpopular and disliked" in what context? I try my darndest to get along with everybody--even if it means the best thing is to minimize my interactions with them.

That said, if I found myself in camp with a difficult personality (and I have), I can manage just fine. I don't get wrapped up in having to correct the other guy or argue with him. It's easy just to sit quiet and enjoy the good things that are happening. Instead of taking 10 minutes to get firewood, take an hour. Or two. Go do dishes--that's often an easy way to get some alone time in camp! Put in your earphones and listen to music. Or, just change the subject. I like to ask guys what they're afraid of. The stories are true, and they are funny. (I don't do bees. Or big snakes. Icky. eek )

Often the other guy has real issues that cause him to behave the way he does. Listen to him. Find out what's eating him. Give a little bit of yourself and reach out to him. Even when you don't change him, he'll notice you treated him well. And just wait, the next time will be better--maybe not lots, but some. At some point you'll have earned the right to be heard by him and you can speak some truth into his life. He'll actually listen when you tell him that he doesn't have to be right all the time or an exaggerating windbag 24/7, or whatever.

As for going on a hunt with somebody here, free or not, I think I'd be honored that they asked me, and would give it a go. If they prove to be unsafe (like they get drunk and point their gun at me) or steal my stuff, then I'd have speak up. But, their general popularity here on this website wouldn't likely influence my decision.

And FWIW, I agree with others: I don't know why people are good guys in person but not nice behind the keyboard. It doesn't add up for me. But again, there's a reason for it. It might be worth finding out what that reason is...

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Nope again, most especially now

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waders
Originally Posted by Tracks
If he provided you with a free hunt?
This subject came up in a conversation last night and it was suggested that the board be asked.

It's an interesting question. "Unpopular and disliked" in what context? I try my darndest to get along with everybody--even if it means the best thing is to minimize my interactions with them.

That said, if I found myself in camp with a difficult personality (and I have), I can manage just fine. I don't get wrapped up in having to correct the other guy or argue with him. It's easy just to sit quiet and enjoy the good things that are happening. Instead of taking 10 minutes to get firewood, take an hour. Or two. Go do dishes--that's often an easy way to get some alone time in camp! Put in your earphones and listen to music. Or, just change the subject. I like to ask guys what they're afraid of. The stories are true, and they are funny. (I don't do bees. Or big snakes. Icky. eek )

Often the other guy has real issues that cause him to behave the way he does. Listen to him. Find out what's eating him. Give a little bit of yourself and reach out to him. Even when you don't change him, he'll notice you treated him well. And just wait, the next time will be better--maybe not lots, but some. At some point you'll have earned the right to be heard by him and you can speak some truth into his life. He'll actually listen when you tell him that he doesn't have to be right all the time or an exaggerating windbag 24/7, or whatever.

As for going on a hunt with somebody here, free or not, I think I'd be honored that they asked me, and would give it a go. If they prove to be unsafe (like they get drunk and point their gun at me) or steal my stuff, then I'd have speak up. But, their general popularity here on this website wouldn't likely influence my decision.

And FWIW, I agree with others: I don't know why people are good guys in person but not nice behind the keyboard. It doesn't add up for me. But again, there's a reason for it. It might be worth finding out what that reason is...

Waders, with all due respect, BT/DT. It didn't happen and didn't work; it just enabled the lowlife cretin to continue in his predetermined and nefarious manner.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
all my hunts are free, save for gas, food, ammo, etc. i won't soil one of my favorite past times by bringing along someone i don't like. hell, i don't even bring along people i DO like most of the time.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunting and fishing are so close to my soul.

I get numerous folks wanting to go with me after looking at my pics.

The outdoors is like my very own personal religion, especially with my kid.

Really hard to let an outsider into such an intimate side of my life unless we're real close.

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 78 invisible), 2,824 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,953
Posts18,499,082
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.