Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10085158 06/30/15
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just had a hen Bob White quail and a brood of little ones cross the road in front of me. The little ones were smaller than a Goldfinch and not much bigger than a Hummingbird. About ten or twelve the best that I could tell. This is the first small ones that I have seen in several years. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Miles,

Here in SW Idaho we have California Quail. Always little ones running around the neighborhood. They're obviously a little larger.

We did have, just today, four baby Killdeer that had just hatched in the yard.

Always cool to see the little ones.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We lose a bunch of the little ones to earth cracks, but this year should be different with the wet June we've had.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Wow! That would be so nice to see here!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep an eye on the cats....

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Saw a covey of little ones in the pan handle some years back w/my brother. They were no larger than my thumb and scurried about behind their mother like water spiders. powdr

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
any p o s of cat more then 100 yards from a house goes lights out here, they are the skurg of the earth, anybody that pampers a cat is just as big a pussy as the damn cat!! get more song birds and quail than any hawk or owl ever could.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I miss my pet quail.. I probably fed them more scratch than the chickens.

The quail's call on a hot afternoon wind is something I always enjoyed.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Been hearing quail galore all spring and summer at my place in the piedmont of south Caroljna. Jump a good number of singles and the occasional covey. Hopefully they are making a comeback. Will be a long time before I even think about hunting them but it's nice to hear them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our first broods from the scaled quail in the "yard coveys" are already so big that it's difficult to tell them from the adults. Looking forward to a lot of double clutching in both scalies and Gambels.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
We have Quail everywhere, so far we have had 1 and 1/2 hatch's, I am seeing birds from the size of a sparrow down to baby birds mouse size, driving home from town yesterday a hen flew out of the ditch and cracked my wind shield, about 10 miles up the road had a Quail hit my left front fender, there are dead Quail are all over the F.M. roads. Rio7

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by mohick
any p o s of cat more then 100 yards from a house goes lights out here, they are the skurg of the earth, anybody that pampers a cat is just as big a pussy as the damn cat!! get more song birds and quail than any hawk or owl ever could.

You know that here in Mo. that you can be prosecuted for killing a pet? Ever read the plaque on the Old Drum statue in front of the court house in Warrensburg? It's not just about dogs.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Got back from my 4 day work trip, hadn't seen any little quail so far this year, just one pheasant chick. Went down to the garden today and there was pheasant chicks and quail all around. Hoping they have a good year up the hill where I can hunt too.

Had some of those killdeer chicks a year or so back, haven't seen them this year. Lots of robin and the Say's phoebes at work have raised three clutches so far this year.

Called in a pair of Orioles down at the garden while picking Himalaya berries (invasive but yummy blackberries). I think they figured I was taking over their territory!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
saw at least 7 coveys at the ranch today, more than i've seen in yrs.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We have Quail everywhere,

I was thrilled to see them when I was there. It has been a while since there were very many here. Mid to late 1980's I am thinking. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Reminds me of an animal rights activist bitchin' about hunters.........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Got a couple of clipped barn cats here, and we have so many dang birds at teh bird feeders you would swear they can't impact the population much.

My cur has caught way more birds than I've ever seen evidence of with the cats.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We will be getting a second hatch the way things look. My small farm is an oasis for all the critters during the four year drought.

I'm not growing anything but habitat this year and turn the irrigation pump on every third day to get some cover up and puddles on the ground. We have every kind of desert animal concentrated here, even the snakes.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unfortunately it is proven that pet cats reduce the bird population drastically more than any other predator. Take care of them quietly and silently.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The word around here is that we need to get the farmers to quit planting right up to the tree line if we want to return quail numbers to what they were in the 1980s. They are basically saying that we need more brushy areas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,457
Posts18,489,764
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.