Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm about to start loadin for .45 ACP. I want to load for 230gr FMJ in the low to mid-800 fps range, i.e. a basic hardball load. I have no experience with any handgun powders other than loading 14gr of Unique for .45-70 plinking loads. Lotsa different folks like lotsa different powders for the .45 ACP (although actually buying any of them my prove problematic). I do not yet have a progressive press, but I intend to get one soon. Assuming that it does not have a gizmo on it that actually checks for double charges, please tell me what powders for the .45 ACP you know for sure will NOT fit a double charge into a case. In other words, I want any potential double charge to spill over and be as obvious as possible. Thanks.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I load by the "batch" method ie. Dump the powder in all the cases I'm loading, then using a flashlight (if needed) to look into each case. It doesn't take long and any double charge will be obvious. A double charge of most applicable powders will fit in the case, so be careful.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This--

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just as bad, and even easier to do, is a no charge or squib. The primer is enough to send the bullet about half way down the barrel and cycle the slide. Fire that next full power round and at the least you're looking at a burst barrel. Been there, done that!

While I could probably get my RCBS progressive to throw 600rds an hour, I'm quite happy taking my time and only doing maybe half that and checking that powder charge, and primer seat very carefully.

Something like blue dot, or green dot, might be fluffy enough that it would at least be obvious in the case if it was a double charge, I haven't used any powder that would overflow a 45acp case. It might exist, but my limited experience with different powders hasn't shown it to me yet.

I've used bullseye and 231 mostly.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by lastround
I load by the "batch" method ie. Dump the powder in all the cases I'm loading, then using a flashlight (if needed) to look into each case. It doesn't take long and any double charge will be obvious. A double charge of most applicable powders will fit in the case, so be careful.

Well, that's the method I use with all my rifle reloading. I guess if it works, just stick with it, eh? Thanks, guys.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I think the the only pistol powder that you might not be able to get a double charge is trail boss.

I been running unique in my 45 ACP with a powder cop die.

Dink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still load on a single-stage, I dump powder in the case and then seat the bullet.

Progressives make me nervous and I load for way to many different cartridges to entertain a progressive.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mrchongo
Originally Posted by lastround

Well, that's the method I use with all my rifle reloading. I guess if it works, just stick with it, eh? Thanks, guys.

It works and it is what I do too. I really am liking the results I am getting with AA 5. meters like water and gives good velocities with low pressure.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Old School powder, HERCO, if they still make it, would work. It's fluffy, not stuffy, and takes up a LOT of case interior space. It would take a compressed charge to hit factory velocity specs, if I remember right.

It's dirty, nasty stuff, though, and you'll have to clean your gun a lot.

It would, however, work for NOT double-charging your cases.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I still load on a single-stage, I dump powder in the case and then seat the bullet.

This is my method as well. I also believe it to be faster, since you are only touching each round once. But faster is not the reason I do it, I also consider it safer. YMMV

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Therre is nothing to prevent one from checking the powder charge on a progressive before you seat the bullet and pull the handle again. Nothing but nothing beats 100% visual inspection.

As to powders, I've long been a fan of unique for great accuracy and it amongst a host of others are outstanding choices for good 45 acp hardball loads. The 45acp case is small enough that you'd be hardpressed to find a powder where a double charge wouldn't be up to the rim of the case if not overflowing.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If one is real worried about double charges use trailboss.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use a flash light look over all in loading block .I have a single stage only takes a few seconds .

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
It is actually quite simple. All you have to do is look into each and every case after the powder has been dropped.

I have not used all brands and models of progressives, but this is quite easy with all the progressives I have seen and used. I use a Dillon 550, and visually inspecting the powder in each case is a simple part of the loading process.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When loading on a progressive, if not using a powder checker with alarm, I visually check the powder in every case before seating a bullet, without exception.

Use the right powder...Bullseye, WST, Solo 1000, etc

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (1lesfox, 160user, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,016
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.