RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by SAKO75
Bw

Who was treated worse

Indians or blacks?

The Federal gov't invaded, waged total war against, and subjugated them, too... "for the children". Therefore, under Birdwatcher "logic", it was completely permissible and in fact the "morally right thing to do".

The sooner we dive into Mexico to straighten them out, the better.

GB4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Better just make that all of Latin America; but we should demand that Texas raise three regiments to invade Mexico first and then we can go through Mexico to all those other countries run by evil rich men in order to save the children.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your logic is undeniable....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Game. set and match....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Basing your epiphany on a few people who were in a position to craft a few documents, (that were not destroyed, revised, or otherwise perverted) and that had a concern about slavery, is a little presumptuous.

Here's the rub. Those "few people" were their elected leaders, who had held a lock grip on Southern policy and politics since before the original Revolution, and in terms of their Constitution defined who they collectively were to a degree far in excess of anything imposed by Presidential decree today.

By your reasoning, you support Obama dealing with Iran, welfare, non criminality for looting, illegal immigration, reduced sentences for drug dealers, and increased taxes etc because the USA supports it, because politicians have wrote and and adopted perverted laws specifically to perpetuate it.

If Obama and his clique had written all these things into the very Constitution I was called upon to defend, you might have a point.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot of Birdwatcher's disconnect with the rest of us on this thread is due to "research". A vantage point decades away from the time certain events occurred lends itself to a lot of fanciful "filling in the gaps".

For instance; In the mid 'nineties,I read a very thoughtful piece describing life in the 'fifties, a span of only forty years. As a youth coming of age in the time period described, I wouldn't have recognized where I was.

One big reason was that the devastating drought we were experiencing here in Texas dominated our collective thoughts and affected everything we did.

The academics who were setting down our history for posterity were immune from its effects and dismissed it with a paragraph or two.

It is presumptuous in the extreme to judge historical figures by the standards in vogue at any particular later time.

And it is egotistical beyond belief to think we would have reacted differently from the ordinary persons living in those times.

Some things , however, transcend time.

Invade my homeplace and I'll damn sure repel you with arms.

And...... if your invasion is successful, I'll expect my decedents to hate you in perpetuity.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is presumptuous in the extreme to judge historical figures by the standards in vogue at any particular later time.

Spot on. Judging past events/times from the current modern perspective without consideration of the then existing conditions is the fatal flaw that keeps people from ever understanding History and learning from it.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Basing your epiphany on a few people who were in a position to craft a few documents, (that were not destroyed, revised, or otherwise perverted) and that had a concern about slavery, is a little presumptuous.

Here's the rub. Those "few people" were their elected leaders, who had held a lock grip on Southern policy and politics since before the original Revolution, and in terms of their Constitution defined who they collectively were to a degree far in excess of anything imposed by Presidential decree today.

Right, the elected leaders. Always representative of their electorate. Check.

By your reasoning, you support Obama dealing with Iran, welfare, non criminality for looting, illegal immigration, reduced sentences for drug dealers, and increased taxes etc because the USA supports it, because politicians have wrote and and adopted perverted laws specifically to perpetuate it.

If Obama and his clique had written all these things into the very Constitution I was called upon to defend, you might have a point.

Birdwatcher

So what was exactly written in the US Constitution which allowed Lincoln to invade the south among other things?

The justification for the invasion of the south was spun with no less subterfuge than Øbama and his ilk spin the current state of affairs.

Sorry BW, but the slavery issue, like so many others, should have been dealt with in a societal arena not by force or legislature.

You agreeing with the actions of Lincoln certainly don't make both of you right. In fact, your willingness to superimpose yourself in that fight, given just the info you provide, is down right stupid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Birdwatcher

You aren't advocating for the defense of the Constitution. You're advocating for the invasion of a sovereign, independent nation.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

You aren't advocating for the defense of the Constitution. You're advocating for the invasion of a sovereign, independent nation.

It's not like the folks across the pond had any history (or problem) with that.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have no need for personal elevation nor affirmation from you or your like.

You claim to have all this knowledge, yet you're not willing to contribute anything substantive here beyond a couple of WIKI link???? crazy

People, including me, have actually been learning things on this thread. YOu coulda blown this thread out of the water with new info.

I do it because I have zero respect for lock step liberal HS teachers like you.

My main three voting issues are in order 1) Pro-Life 2) Gun Rights and finally 3) The Environment (no, I don't think Global Warming is necessarily man-made).

I do wish all them mewling education "professionals" were just like me grin

You have no use nor respect for actual research or honest and fair analysis.

?? How long have you been reading my posts on these boards??

I figure my own contributions here have been to get people to at least acknowledge the sheer size of the slave establishment and its profound effect on National and Southern politics and events.

For example: How many posters here do you suppose had ever read the Southern Constitution?

Actually the other big one IMHO was the uncovering of those "Declarations of Causes"... Why they secceeded in the words of the actual Southerners themselves, you may have no idea how much these revelatory documents are ignored in debates on this topic.

Taken as a whole, the Antebellum South didn't look much like what we would call American today.

You only spout the PC party line as dictated by the current mewlings of the education "professionals"

The Indians had it exactly right; the worth of a man is not what he owns, but what he has done :cool

Sir, I am exceedingly proud of what I do. I teach in a big urban high school with all of is attendant problems. One of them places where most folks wouldn't go, or live. I do both.

I doubt that your own places of employment or residence are located in such a setting.

In actually do this in part because it has been the closest thing I can get to the Frontier. I'm going into my twenty-seventh year, same school. Prior to that I spent three years in a remote African village, same motivation, living at close to an 1860's technology level.

See, most EVERYBODY, possibly including yourself, runs from these places, and yet b&tch about them endlessly. I do not, because of my emotional drive I guess *shrug*

All of these claims I can back up, in spades cool

When I leave here, my two proudest possessions will be my thirty-year pin (I don't think I'll be able to make forty) and the written testimonials of former students.

...and look at things through your narrow emotionally driven lens.

The irony is that best describes the OTHER posters here.

Simply stated, you are just not worth the effort.

This sounds familiar. Have we ever dated?

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My main three voting issues are in order 1) Pro-Life 2) Gun Rights and finally 3) The Environment (no, I don't think Global Warming is necessarily man-made).

Birdwatcher

Those, and especially 2), are going to butt up rather harshly against the "for the children" and "rich people are evil" positions you harbor, though consistency has never been your strong suit.

Since the Feds have pushed gun control "for the children" and because firearms companies are run/owned by "evil rich people" who profit on "harm to children", you'd best lead by example and turn all your firearms in, else you'll be even further of a hypocrite to your own espoused beliefs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You claim to have all this knowledge, yet you're not willing to contribute anything substantive here beyond a couple of WIKI link???? crazy

People, including me, have actually been learning things on this thread. YOu coulda blown this thread out of the water with new info.

I figure my own contributions here have been to get people to at least acknowledge the sheer size of the slave establishment and its profound effect on National and Southern politics and events.

Actually the other big one IMHO was the uncovering of those "Declarations of Causes"... Why they secceeded in the words of the actual Southerners themselves, you may have no idea how much these revelatory documents are ignored in documents of this type..

Taken as a whole, the Antebellum South didn't look much like what we would call American today.

You only spout the PC party line as dictated by the current mewlings of the education "professionals"

The Indians had it exactly right; the worth of a man is not what he owns, but what he has done :cool

Sir, I am exceedingly proud of what I do. No schidt, I teach in a big urban high school with all of is attendant problems. One of them places where most folks wouldn't go, or live. I do both.

I doubt that your own places of employment or residence are located in such a setting.

In actually do this because it has been the closest thing I can get to the Frontier. I'm going into my twenty-seventh year, same school. Prior to that I spent three years in a remote African village, same motivation, living at close to an 1860's technology level.

See, most EVERYBODY, possibly including yourself, runs from these places, and yet b&tch about them endlessly. I do not, because of my emotional drive I guess *shrug*

When I leave here, my two proudest possessions will be my thirty-year pin (I don't think I'll be able to make forty) and the written testimonials of former students.

[b]Simply stated, you are just not worth the effort.

Birdwatcher [/quote]

More Bovine Scatology I see.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Actually the other big one IMHO was the uncovering of those "Declarations of Causes"... Why they secceeded in the words of the actual Southerners themselves, you may have no idea how much these revelatory documents are ignored in documents of this type..

Sir, I am exceedingly proud of what I do. No schidt, I teach in a big urban high school with all of is attendant problems. One of them places where most folks wouldn't go, or live. I do both.

In actually do this because it has been the closest thing I can get to the Frontier. I'm going into my twenty-seventh year, same school. Prior to that I spent three years in a remote African village, same motivation, living at close to an 1860's technology level.

[b]Simply stated, you are just not worth the effort.

Birdwatcher

More Bovine Scatology I see. [/quote]

Actually, it may be fact. HBB, I know you've screwed some hard left, female "education majors" before. Birdwatcher's personal philosophies and the consistencies thereof are identical to the same.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Those, and especially 2), are going to butt up rather harshly against the "for the children" and "rich people are evil" positions you harbor, though consistency has never been your strong suit.

Ya know, we really need an eye-roll emoticon here.

Where have a I ever said "rich people are evil"?

And OF COURSE its "for the children" you numbskull, most everything should be.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Nope, all true.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nope, all true.

Terminally White Guilt Liberal then. Its still BS but maybe it will make you feel better.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Setting aside slavery for a bit, the Confederate Constitution was MUCH better than our current one and actually addressed most of the problems we have today which were becoming apparent then. That in and of itself shows that slavery was not the end all be all of the war.

Off the top of my head without going back and actually looking at it, the Confederate constitution decreed that someone must actually be a citizen to vote. It provided for a line item veto. It gave state legislatures the power to impeach federal officials and judges who operate solely within the confines of their state. It banned tariffs and governmental subsidies of industries. It limited federal spending on infrastructure to harbors and the like. It provided that the Confederate Post Office must turn a profit and pay for itself. (Here is a biggie)The Confederate Congress could only appropriate money in response to a specific request from the executive branch and only with a two thirds vote. Thus, none of the omnibus bills or any other spending that wasn't specifically detailed and voted on by Congress. Further, the spending was to be for an EXACT amount and could not be changed without another vote of Congress. Every bill before Congress could only relate to ONE subject and the subject had to be reflected in the title. Thus, none of these little riders that Congress loves to sneak into bills as almost an afterthought.

Just think if our constitution today had those provisions. Most of the runaway spending and federal power would be not be possible. That doesn't mean that federal power wouldn't have developed in other ways and that there wouldn't be other problems. But it does show that even by 1860 almost ALL the problems we see today were being seen or foreseen then and that the Confederate constitution sought to address them.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I think we got it settled.

Good thread y'all.

If you guys are in the neighborhood, my field hand, Rochester, will be grilling burgers for the fourth.

Believe the kitchen girl, Jemima, will be making some of her special slaw and sweet tea.

Everyone's invited.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ya know, we really need an eye-roll emoticon here.

Where have a I ever said "rich people are evil"?

Here:

I'd be interested to get feedback on this...

http://www.civilwarhome.com/slavery.html

One half of all Southerners in 1860 were either slaves themselves or members of slaveholding families. These elite families shaped the mores and political stance of the South, which reflected their common concerns. Foremost among these were controlling slaves and assuring an adequate supply of slave labor....

The rural nature of antebellum slavery had unintended negative effects on the Southern economy. The investment of so much capital in land and slaves discouraged the growth of cities and diverted funds from factories. This meant that the South lacked the industrial base it needed to counter the North when the Civil War began. Indeed, in 1860, the South had approximately the same number of industrial workers (110,000), as the North had industrial plants.

Other detrimental effects arose from the South's devotion to rural slavery. Wealthy planters liked to claim they were living out the Jeffersonian ideal of an agrarian democracy. In truth, the South was agrarian because slave owners found that the best way to maintain their wealth and contain their slaves.

Moreover, its "democracy" was very limited because the planters had enormous influence over how white yeomen cast their votes. Except in remote areas of the South with few slaves or plantations, it was the needs and beliefs of the planter class that shaped Southern politics on the local, state, and national levels.

The consequences of this planter dominance was seen in many aspects of the society. The South failed to develop a varied economy even within the agricultural realm. All the most fertile land in the South was owned by slaveholders who chose to grow high-profit staple crops--cotton, tobacco, sugar. That left only marginal land for the vast majority of white farmers.

This problem was compounded by the dominance of the planters image as the social ideal. Alternative means of advancement were unavailable, so yeomen farmers aspired to become planters themselves. They used some of their land to grow food for their family's consumption and devoted the rest to cash crops like cotton. Their hope was to produce enough to save, buy a few slaves, produce yet more, and, ultimately, accumulate the wealth that would elevate them to planter status. For most, this was a futile dream, but they remained committed to it, thereby neglecting other possible avenues for economic advancement.

One reason for the yeomen farmers lack of aspirations was ignorance. The antebellum South neglected to provide for the education of its people. Planters controlled the governmental revenues that could have financed public education, but they saw no need to do so. Their slaves were forbidden to learn; their own children were educated by private tutors or in exclusive and expensive private academies.

As a result, most white yeomen were left without access to education. A few lucky ones near towns or cities could sometimes send their children to fee schools or charity schools, but many were too poor or too proud to use either option.

In a similar vein, the dominating slaveholding class saw no need to create the means to produce inexpensive consumer goods for ordinary whites or to build an infrastructure by which such goods could be moved from production sites to markets in the countryside. Wealthy planters acquired what they wanted by importing expensive European or Northern goods. Thus poor whites were left to their own minimal resources and were deprived of goods they might have bought, had they been available.

This lack of consumer production and markets also retarded the growth of Southern transportation. Highways, canals, and railroads were constructed to move crops to ports and bring in luxury items for the planter class. The need of yeomen farmers to transport their crops to local markets was ignored. As a consequence, it was usually cheaper for plantation owners to import food from the North or upper South than to purchase it from white farmers in the same region. This deficiency in the Southern transportation system proved a serious liability for the Confederacy during the Civil War.

Slavery in the antebellum South, then, made a minority of white Southerners--owners of large slaveholdings--enormously wealthy. At the same time, it demeaned and exploited Southerners of African descent, left the majority of white Southerners impoverished and uneducated, and retarded the overall economic, cultural, and social growth of the region.

Birdwatcher

And OF COURSE its "for the children" you numbskull, most everything should be.

However, if we remove the "rich people are evil" bit from your summarized position, then we are left with the fact that you advocate the subjugation of American citizens, the abrogation of the Constitution, the suppression or elimination of the rights of self-determination and self-governance, and the armed invasion of sovereign nations SOLELY on the bases of "it's for the children".

That sums it up nicely, and thus a revision -

So, let's sum this up...

Birdwatcher has stated and agreed with the premise that a free people have the right to break away from a gov't that no longer represents them. That is a fundamental human right.

It has been established that the Southern states did exactly that, and for exactly that reason.

It has further been established that slavery - while undeniably odious - was both Constitutional under the U.S. Constitution and therefore legal as well.

It has even further been established that Lincoln had no authority whatsoever under the law or the Constitution to take any actions that he did; including arresting and detaining US citizens in MD and elsewhere, detaining and replacing the MD legislature and governor, turning cannons on the city of Baltimore, and/or invading the now free and independent Southern states or any states at all.

Birdwatcher has at least implicitly agreed with all of these established facts.

Yet, he continues to support the illegal, unconstitutional actions of Lincoln against the very premise of self-determination he says he supports. He even acknowledges that such support is illogical, yet remains steadfast in keeping such an illogical position. The justification for that has now devolved to "it's for the children".

Just stop and think about that for a second. Under Birdwatcher's justification of an illogical, illegal, unconstitutional series of actions, all that is needed is for the central Federal gov't to decide/decree that another free people's actions are "immoral" or "unethical" and that the Federal gov't decide that to overthrow them is best "for the children".

Under such a "moral Crusade", Birdwatcher would unabashedly endorse and support the subjugation of American citizens (MD example), including the arrest and detention of duly elected representative government, suspension of habeas corpus and all other rights, confiscation of firearms and other lawfully held personal property, and threat of military bombardment of a civilian population.

Moreover, under his same "Crusade", the same pitiful excuse is all that is needed in order to launch a full military campaign and invasion of another sovereign nation, complete with conscription of soldiers to fight said war; and tacit or explicit endorsement of "total war" (i.e., war against all parties in that now invaded nation, including against civilians).

Thus, when one distills out the remainder of Birdwatcher's position, the fundamental rights to freedom and self-determination are crushed under the boot heel of tyranny with no more justification than "it's for the children".

I have no doubt that Birdwatcher will be reminded of this here at every turn when those like Hussein, Clinton, Pelosi, Sarah Brady, Schumer, Feinstein, Pelosi, Bloomberg, Soros, and all their ilk tell us what freedoms we need to give up because doing so is "for the children". Likewise, I know that Birdwatcher will be among the first to give up his freedoms, perhaps today, in support of those same "moral Crusades" to protect said children; here and abroad.

Furthermore, I hope Birdwatcher will rejoin us to let us all know which sovereign nations we should invade with such force of will as to reinstitute the draft and wage "total war" against because they, too, might be governed by a handful of "evil rich" and because such an invasion would be "for the children". I've no doubt such a list would be quite long and lead to an imperialist "moral Crusade" the likes of which the world has never known. Yet, it will be completely justifiable, according to Birdwatcher, because the "evil rich" must be vanquished "for the children". Perhaps Birdwatcher, as he said he would do were he alive in 1861, will be among the first to volunteer and lead such a "moral Crusade" to save all the world's children?

Last edited by 4ager; 07/01/15. Reason: Revised Birdwatcher's stance, so he can avoid it yet again

Page 32 of 35 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 35

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (22250rem, 1minute, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,941
Posts18,480,085
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.