Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Geedub, a Blaser? Smart man! And if you don't like the 243, you can just switch out the barrel. Blasers are about all I hunt with these days. Here's my R8 Attache' hybrid with a 243 Match barrel, but it could become a 30-06 in under 30 seconds :-)

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Biebs; 07/02/15.
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Biebs, I'm just a piker in sandbox compared to you, but being a junk-man at heart, when I can pick up a rig like this for +/- 23 Benjamins, its hard to resist, even if the barrel is chambered for 243 Win.

[Linked Image]

Next stop is a 9.3 x 62, if I can find one at a value.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Other than you are a one gun man with a bigger caliber, why would you ever feel the need to use anything bigger than a .243 Win for whitetail?

Because I don't shoot Texas sized whitetails. grin

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Why, bigger cals. make bigger holes, and bigger holes leave better blood trails. I have killed A dozen or so of deer with the 243 and have wounded and lost two with the 243. The two that I lost would I have found with A larger gun, probably not, but it makes A guy think.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya
Biebs, I'm just a piker in sandbox compared to you, but being a junk-man at heart, when I can pick up a rig like this for +/- 23 Benjamins, its hard to resist, even if the barrel is chambered for 243 Win.

[Linked Image]

Next stop is a 9.3 x 62, if I can find one at a value.

Best,

GWB

I predict you'll like it.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by driftless
Why, bigger cals. make bigger holes, and bigger holes leave better blood trails.

[Linked Image]

Yup,

GWB

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Because you're a cheapskate, .308 barrel life is longer and you're more likely to find decent ammo on sale for a ridiculous sale price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Viva la 260

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suppose its a want.....because I want to use my 9.3x62

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I suppose its a want.....because I want to use my 9.3x62

I've had the 9.3 x 62 in both the Cz 550 American and a Sako 75 that started life as a 30-06 and was rebored. I got if from Handwerk who posts here. One of the few rifles I regret selling.

So.........

[Linked Image]

I've had to console my self with a 9.3 x 74R.

Best,

GWB

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had a couple and the wife used the 243 for several years. The one thing I do not like about it is the amount of meat damage. Did not seem to help with different bullets and weights. It works but I would rather have the whole shoulder or hind quarter.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I wouldn't but I very, very rarely hunt whitetail.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My R-93 combo is a Prestidge stocked model with a .270 and 9.3x62 barrels.

I also have a matched pair of Browning Safaris in .243 and .308, built on small ring FN actions. I have killed dozens of deer with a .243 (100 Noslers) but usually select the .308 between the pair.

I have used the .338-06 on a good many deer. Talk about slam dunk!

The little .218 Bee is fine for head shots on meat deer. And lastly, the .30-30 is a perfect example of a cartridge that is perfectly balanced, constructed, or whatever for both man and beast in the 100 to 300 pound range. I have witnessed what it does to both man and deer.

Life is too short to be limited to one rifle, although Dad did rather well with only one center fire, a Marlin .30-30.

Best wishes,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd harder to realize how easy it is to kill an animal, than actually kill an animal.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 16bore
I'd harder to realize how easy it is to kill an animal, than actually kill an animal.

Killin' critters ain't hard. Just stop the flow of blood/oxygen to the brain and sooner or later they die.

now finding them after you kill 'em can be a challenge if they ain't DRT.

For example,

There is a spin-cast feeder under the black dot in the foreground in front of the rifle barrel. Range is 276 yds. Got an opening about 20' to 25' across. At dark, if you can't find a blood trail within 10' to 20' of the POI, chances are you ain't going back to camp with meat.

[Linked Image]

here is a closer view, with a dead hoglet adjacent the feeder.

[Linked Image]

It was about to come a frog-choker and I was losing light fast. Good size bore comes in. He is skittish. I knew he would not stay long. Sure enough about 10 seconds after he makes his appearance he decides to head back in the brush so I had to make a quick shot. I like shooting hogs about 2" below the ear on a line between the ear and shoulder. This severs their spine and they drop and paddle. Dead, but don't know it yet.
Well he was walkin' and from the time my brain sez "squeeze" and my finger does, then the bullet travels the 280 yds, I hit about 6" back. Well a 200 gr. Nosler Ballistic silvertip at a MV of +/- 3,150 packs a pretty good wallop. At that range you can hear the "whop". I immediately jack a new round into the chamber and get back on target. Sure enough the bullet flipped him but he's struggling to get back to his feet. So I pop him again aiming at his withers. This puts him down for good.

[Linked Image]

He's a fair hoglet. Once again, not a white-tail, but evidence of why I like bullets of larger diameter and weight than the typical 6mm.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/03/15.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't think it matters too much for deer, at least the monsters I shoot off my land in East Texas (sarcasm).

Last 2 deer I've taken off my property were with a 257R with 120 Interlock at 2700 fps and a 6.8 SPC with 115 Fusion at 2450 FPS.

Both were bang flop.

Last hunt I went on where I had to fork out hard earned dollars for a free range Axis hunt, I went a little bigger with a 338 Federal, mainly because is shot so well with 180 Ballistic Tips and I wasn't sure how far I'd be shooting.

Those Ballistic Tips were bought from SPS for 20 cents a bullet which could open another argument of using cheap bullets for an expensive hunt.

Scott
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by ingwe
Stunt shooter!

Nah,

not a white-tail but a 125 lb. Aoudad ewe, Ranged at +/- 300 yds. when spotted heading uphill,

[Linked Image]

Sako varmint, 7 mag, 160 gr. Nosler Partiton, 300 yds. plus.

Nice thing about a bullet of sufficient diameter and weight, event if you don't hit them, but come close, it puts their lights out. LOL

JAPPFT,

GWB

i have a hard time discerning between a want and need . any of you feel the same? I feel i need a 7mm mag sako varmint.

Last edited by roninflag; 07/03/15.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My good friend who is a rifle looney always says "need has nothing to do with it!"

Scott
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Other than you are a one gun man with a bigger caliber, why would you ever feel the need to use anything bigger than a .243 Win for whitetail?

Seriously.... because there are better cartridges & calibers for hunting WTs under ANY/ALL conditions.

That said, I've had 243s and still have a 6mm R and killed deer with all of them. I've had bang flops and bang-run offs and LONG difficult tracking jobs because of little/no blood trail.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
g,

Interestingly enough,the Terminal Trifecta remains unchanged in their relative importance rankings,despite a myriad of Drooling Dumbfhuqks trying to convince themselves otherwise. 'Course it's never been tough to cypher,who shoots and who don't. Hint.

1) Placement
2) Projectile selection
3) Headstamp

You'll wanna read that again...now one more time. Hint.

Not that I don't get a very big fhuqking kick outta The Padded Perch/Sprinkler Trevails and the oblivious Dumbfhuqkery slathered copiously upon same. Schit don't get much funnier than Ping Pong Balls launched from schit Riggin',less means of POA/POI intersection arrangement,as a Terminal Treatise and quantification of the inherently compromised "approach". Bless your heart.

Bucks in the front yard and I reckon the hedge could use a trim. Hint.

[Linked Image]

200's at 3150fps in an Ultra is a fhuqking riot,as is 23 bushel for a blued POS 10" 243Win. Coupling both with schit glass and waxing eloquent on the "demands" of such rigorous terrain and unforgiving jungle density,copiously frosts The Dumbfhuqk Cake. Wow!

You are over cartridged,under boolited and less a single fhuqking clue in how to arrange POA/POI intersections...if only as starters. But "luckily" for you,schitty/sloppy "results" swoon you and your Golf Cart,inside the fence. Congratulations?!?

It'd be funnier than fhuqk to watch you shoot for a day and apply "all" of your "prowess",as you brazenly make a stand for Dumbfhuqkery and it's sweet "satisfactions",while doing your very BEST. Laughing!

PS and by the way,the Ultra will squirt 210X's at 3400fps. Better yet,it'll squirt 250 Skinners at 3K and with a modest 250yd zero,it'll consume but 6.5Mils to 1K and only 1.8Mils of 10mph full value wind at same. Hint.

Graf's has 'em on Sale currently,for 48 bucks a can. 'Nother HINT. pardon their being less expensive,while being VASTLY superior to any/all things Nosler. Thank me later and I'm looking forward to the excuse(s). Laughing!

An OEM 243Win that'll pinhole 105's of Robust Repute,is very easily arranged and has been for decades. Hint. Meld same with glass of unerring tracking and copious erector latitude and POA/POI becomes a given,rather than a "surprise". Mount same in a bulletproof system and the longterm rewards flow freely in non-lineal fashion. Re-hint.

"Tell" me more...I gotta go toss another (500) 250 Skinners in the moly tumbler.

GOOD talk.

Laughing!..................

'flag,

Bore interiors,matter MUCH more than their exterior dimensioning. Tough to swoon Blued heavy schit and 700 L/A COAL trumps Sako's efforts. Big Green throats rather nicely,twists in like accords and you've the COAl latitude to literally ring the bell. Hint.

Think boolits first. Re-hint.

Tough to beat a Montucky 7Whizzum/162 smooch,with it's miniscule ES/SD,eerie Precision and killer throat/twist/COAL geometry...assuming you actually shoot.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later..................

'wall,

Cite the boolits.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,628
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.