Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 37 38
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I will probably live to regret posting the following but here goes anyway.

There has been a lot posted on the Civil War on the Campfire lately. Some good, some bad, and a bunch that is really stupid and absurd.

In terms of a historical event there have been more barrels of ink and reams of paper spent on the War Between the States than almost any other single thing in American History.

Since I am an Historian by professional training I have thought I might post some on how you can develop a better understanding of the events surrounding the Civil War if you are interested in doing some work and digging on your own.

Be forewarned there is an absolute Himalayan mountain range amount of material to sift through. A few quick internet searches are not going to get you anything but mostly perplexed and disgusted. Forget finding a single cause for the war because there is NO single overriding cause. Nor will you find a consensus list of causes. The Civil War is simply too complex an event for that.

The first step I would suggest is to see how the Civil War fits into the continuum of history. To do this you are going to have to begin with a clear understanding of the events prior to the outbreak of hostilities.

To this end I would suggest using 1861 as a starting date and go back at least 50 years. Once there begin with a well done textbook on American History. I would recommend the following volume:

http://www.amazon.com/America-Narrative-George-Browm-Tindall/dp/0393974421

It is one of the best ever compiled. Read it and take notes.

More later.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

I will probably live to regret posting the following but here goes anyway.

There has been a lot posted on the Civil War on the Campfire lately. Some good, some bad, and a bunch that is really stupid and absurd.

In terms of a historical event there have been more barrels of ink and reams of paper spent on the War Between the States than almost any other single thing in American History.

Since I am an Historian by professional training I have thought I might post some on how you can develop a better understanding of the events surrounding the Civil War if you are interested in doing some work and digging on your own.

Be forewarned there is an absolute Himalayan mountain range amount of material to sift through. A few quick internet searches are not going to get you anything but mostly perplexed and disgusted. Forget finding a single cause for the war because there is NO single overriding cause. Nor will you find a consensus list of causes. The Civil War is simply too complex an event for that.

The first step I would suggest is to see how the Civil War fits into the continuum of history. To do this you are going to have to begin with a clear understanding of the events prior to the outbreak of hostilities.

To this end I would suggest using 1861 as a starting date and go back at least 50 years. Once there begin with a well done textbook on American History. I would recommend the following volume:

http://www.amazon.com/America-Narrative-George-Browm-Tindall/dp/0393974421

It is one of the best ever compiled. Read it and take notes.

More later.

Standing by for the "more later", but yeah, you likely will...

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If war were to break out this weekend in the US, 150 years from now anyone looking for answers would need to look back about 50 years from now as well. So, good call. I bet you nailed it.

Last edited by Fireball2; 07/02/15.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
what do you think of shelby foote's 3 volume set?

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Real research is never a bad thing.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SAKO75
what do you think of shelby foote's 3 volume set?

Foote's work is not bad but its a bit too commercially aimed to be a formal History.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 07/02/15.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for the post and the reference.

Retired cat herder.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
A part of my family tree authored the the Wilmot Proviso that was put forth in the House in 1846.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
5th Edition specifically?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Supposed to get here July 6th, thanks.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recently picked up William R Trotters "Bushwackers" , "Silk Flags And Cold Steel" , "Ironclads And Columbiads". All of these are about the civil war in North Carolina.

I started with and have almost finished Bushwackers , the civil war in the NC mountains. It certainly shows a different perspective , that of the non slave holding common man.

Are you familiar with Trotter's work hbb ? , if so , what do you think of it ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
5th Edition specifically?

there have been like 9 editions of the Tindall & Shi any one is great for Civil War stuff.

The first editions ended with the Clinton presidency and all the later ones are just updated thru Obama.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 6mm250
I recently picked up William R Trotters "Bushwackers" , "Silk Flags And Cold Steel" , "Ironclads And Columbiads". All of these are about the civil war in North Carolina.

I started with and have almost finished Bushwackers , the civil war in the NC mountains. It certainly shows a different perspective , that of the non slave holding common man.

Are you familiar with Trotter's work hbb ? , if so , what do you think of it ?

Mike

I have read some of Trotter's work and its pretty good.

The stuff that takes in the common man's perspective is usually very informative.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NeBassman
A part of my family tree authored the the Wilmot Proviso that was put forth in the House in 1846.

Do you have any notes, journals, or diaries from their work? If so, your are in high cotton with primary sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
all of this means nothing when they take it out of the history books and say it never happened. i say we hurry up and do the same thing with obama.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by srwshooter
all of this means nothing when they take it out of the history books and say it never happened. i say we hurry up and do the same thing with obama.

No, it is up to US to insure that history is not lost, that the truth remains out there, and that WE educate our children, grandchildren, and any others we can.

The gov't has its agenda; we must have our own.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Some more stuff.

After you work through the Tindall and Shi history book up to 1861 its time to move on to different sources. Oh, you should probably have at a minimum of 100 pages of typewritten or 200- 250 pages of hand written reading notes if you're doing the historian thing.

Now, that you have laid the foundation (you might want to think of being an Historian as partially the process of layering up a cake or a brick wall) its time to start building upon it.

First, attack as much primary source material as you can lay hand on. Remember that these sources will likely be localized or regionalized.

I would recommend starting with the newspapers dating back to at least 1835 if possible. Many towns did not have a paper in those days so concentrate in general terms on the bigger cities.

I would try to get at least two from North, South, and West.

Say the Boston and/or NYC papers. Baltimore and Richmond. Atlanta and New Orleans. St.Louis and Kansas City, etc.

The majority of these papers are available on microfilm and can be accessed via the Inter-library Loan system at public libraries, or community college and university libraries. For the most part librarians at the collegiate libraries are really happy to help and help you learn to use a microfilm reader.

Hitting the newspapers will let you see what and how people were thinking about things. Look especially for articles and editorials and letters to the editor dealing with slavery, sectionalism, and new states entering the union. Look at the advertisements for things such as land sales, cotton markets, slave auction, etc. to inform you on the thinking of people.

By the end of the newspapers you should have another 250-400 pages of notes and or copies of newspaper articles.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by srwshooter

No, it is up to US to insure that history is not lost, that the truth remains out there, and that WE educate our children, grandchildren, and any others we can.

The gov't has its agenda; we must have our own.

This is exactly what must be done. The better we all understand the hows and whys of history and pass that understanding along the more we can limit the grip of the goobermint.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
HBB, I know that you teach at the university level. Given the current slant toward everything being PC and the academic slide to everything left and progressive, can you even teach history as it really happened today?

Or are you obligated to teach a whitewashed version that never happened so as to never offend anyone?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
HBB, I know that you teach at the university level. Given the current slant toward everything being PC and the academic slide to everything left and progressive, can you even teach history as it really happened today?

Or are you obligated to teach a whitewashed version that never happened so as to never offend anyone?

Before a state budget cut eliminated my position and put me out of a job, I taught real History. No whitewash and NO PC BS.

I made a BUNCH of people mad because I wouldn't get on the Liberal Train but academic freedom reigned.

Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1lessdog, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 60 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,549
Posts18,472,957
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.