Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[b][color:#3333FF]Link...![/color][/b]

The owners of a mom and pop bakery have just learned there is a significant price to pay for following their religious beliefs.

Aaron and Melissa Klein, the owners of Sweet Cakes By Melissa, have been ordered to pay $135,000 in damages to a lesbian couple after they refused to bake them a wedding cake in 2013.

The Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industry (BOLI) awarded $60,000 to Laurel Bowman-Cryer and $75,000 in damages to Rachel Bowman-Cryer for “emotional suffering.”

“This case is not about a wedding cake or a marriage,” the final order read. “It is about a business’s refusal to serve someone because of their sexual orientation. Under Oregon law, that is illegal.”

According to the BOLI, the lesbian couple suffered great angst. One of the women “felt depressed and questioned whether there was something inherently wrong with the sexual orientation she was born with.” They said she had “difficulty controlling her emotions and cried a lot.”

The other woman “experienced extreme anger, outrage, embarrassment, exhaustion, frustration, intense sorrow and shame” simply because the Kleins refused to provide them with a wedding cake.

Jeez. That must have been one heck of a cake.

It sounds as if the state of Oregon is sending a stern warning to Christian business owners like the Kleins.

“Within Oregon’s public accommodations law is the basic principle of human decency that every person, regardless of their sexual orientation, has the freedom to fully participate in society,” the ruling states. “The ability to enter public places, to shop and dine, to move about unfettered by bigotry.”

Does The Bureau of Labor and Industry truly believe that Christians who want to follow the teachings of their faith are bigots?

It certainly seems to me the only entity guilty of unfettered bigotry is the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industry.

Since the day they turned away the lesbian couple’s business, the Kleins have suffered greatly. Their business was subjected to boycotts and pickets. LGBT activists and their supporters threatened any wedding vendor that did business with Sweet Cakes By Melissa.

Mrs. Klein told me her five children were subjected to death threats -- death threats for simply refusing to participate in a same-sex wedding. That doesn’t sound very tolerant to me.

Eventually, the bullying became so severe the family had to shut down their retail store and Mr. Klein had to take a job picking up garbage. Today, Mrs. Klein continues to make cakes in her home.

“We were just running our business the best we could – following the Lord’s example,” she said. “I’m just blown away by the ruling. They are punishing us for not participating in the wedding.”

Mr. Klein said he plans on appealing the ruling and had harsh words for BOLI Commissioner Brad Avakian.

“This man has no power over me,” Klein said. “He seems to think he can tell me to be quiet. That doesn’t sit well with me and I refuse to comply.”

Mr. Klein accused the BOLI of ordering him to not speak publicly about the case – an order he said is unconstitutional.

“When my constitutional freedoms have been violated by the state I’m going to speak out,” he said. “That’s the way it is.”

Regardless, the Klein case has demonstrated once again that gay rights trump religious liberty. Other Christian business owners should pay close attention.

The Kleins had a choice. They could obey the government or they could obey God. They chose God – and now they must pay the price.

GB1

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is exactly where the whole consternation is going to spiral out of control and create utter chaos.

So if an atheist baker declines to bake me a Christian Flag cake do I have equal entitlements as outlined in the case that DW put up??

I really believe the definitions of discrimination rights against will have to be rewritten. Not a great start. In fact, it sucks... crazy

Thank you SC!! You still have a lot more decisions to screw up!

Beginning of the end!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
According to the BOLI, the lesbian couple suffered great angst. One of the women “felt depressed and questioned whether there was something inherently wrong with the sexual orientation she was born with.” They said she had “difficulty controlling her emotions and cried a lot.”

The other woman “experienced extreme anger, outrage, embarrassment, exhaustion, frustration, intense sorrow and shame” simply because the Kleins refused to provide them with a wedding cake.

The second woman mentioned gets on top.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I keep suggesting the lesbian bitches take their cake order to a muslim bakery

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If people don't want to abide by the rules of the land, get out of business. They have a public business and operate in an environment that doesn't allow discrimination based on sexual orientation. If they don't like it, they need to change the business or do something else.

We are not talking about churches being forced to do gay weddings or hire gay ministers. As much as I think the gay marriage thing is wrong, I don't think a for profit business can exclude gays just because they are gay. Adultery and homosexuality are the same sin. Are they also excluding adulterers from their cakes?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kodiak has it right.

I keep hearing about "obeying God"....Where in the Bible does it say to not bake a cake for gay people?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It all seems pretty silly to me. If I'm sellin' cakes and somebody wants to buy one, I'm selling it.

On the other hand, I don't think the government should force private businesses to serve anyone that they choose not to serve.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Queers and minorities always suffer most,
all things being equal. frown frown frown

Last edited by poboy; 07/02/15.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck collecting!
I'd burn my house down before they'd get one red cent!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From now on, make the cake and mix up salt and sugar.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Kodiak has it right.

I keep hearing about "obeying God"....Where in the Bible does it say to not bake a cake for gay people?

According to the Bible you are supposed to stone them. Since it was a Colorado baker, I guess he could of included some of our finest, newest, agricultural product in the batter and stoned the entire wedding party.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Kodiak has it right.

According to the Bible you are supposed to stone them. Since it was a Colorado baker, I guess he could of included some of our finest, newest, agricultural product in the batter and stoned the entire wedding party.

I don't think they are Jewish but it might have made for a good wedding.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Kodiak has it right.

Now that's funny right there!! Literal interpretation right??

A little bit sacrilegious but okay...

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So right in the lawsuit they admit that the lesbians are mentally ill. Who'd a guessed it?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kodiak has it right.

The entire chapter is good reading, but here's the meat:
Romans 1:32
Though they know God's decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

2 John 1 9-11
9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, 11 for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.

Ephesians 5-11
5 For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not become partners with them; 8 for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 9 (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), 10 and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. 11 Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

Is that enough for you? grin

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BarryC
Kodiak has it right.

The entire chapter is good reading, but here's the meat:
Romans 1:32
Though they know God's decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

2 John 1 9-11
9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, 11 for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.

Ephesians 5-11
5 For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not become partners with them; 8 for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 9 (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), 10 and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. 11 Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

Is that enough for you? grin

You going to apply that to all sin or just the gay?
Business might suck if you have to exclude sinners.

I wonder how those same Christian bakers deal with Mathew 5:27-32.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well if you have to bake that gay wedding cake, and if Amazon is going to quit selling the Confederate Flag, then maybe they ought to stop selling these too.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If you absolutely force me to bake a Gay wedding cake, I will. But with all the rats around and getting into everything like they do, your cake might have slightly more than the 1prt/Million rat turd in it....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Barry-Romans has nothing to do with a Christian doing business, John has nothing to do with homosexuality and Ephesians has nothing to do with baking a cake (providing a business service).

So, no.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, would it be okay to refuse to bake a cake with a Confederate flag on it?

Would it be okay for a black bakery to refuse to bake a cake with a Confederate flag on it?

Time for you Oregonians to do some creative shopping!

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,801
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.