Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#10046196 06/20/15
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i ran across three NIB Wssm rilfes at a local shop today. Is there any collector interest in these?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That 223 wssm is a screamer!

LOL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Maybe in 50 years they will be worth something..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The stainless featherweight's are worth money because not too many were made. Now how they shoot who knows they were made on the tail end of the run before Winchester shut the plant down in New Haven..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had 2, a cheap 223wssm truck gun, it was, is a 2 shot wonder! The barrel heated so fast shot 3 would be 2" out. cold bore it was a varmints ( up to whitetails)worse nightmare. Mine likes the 64 grain super X ammo. I also had and just sold a coyote lite in 25 wssm, great gun! It loved the 120 gr super X PEP and 110 gr accubombs...It covers the ballistics of a 25-06 at much higher pressures, ammo is getting hard to locate and I am cutting back to all pre 64's, 70's, except one 7 STW for super long range. very best winpoor

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
PS, Both of mine were early guns, QC went out the window and I tried zeroing 2 POS late guns, one the chrome lining was flaking out of the barrel ! Winchester replaced it with another POS as well! VB winpoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
The stainless featherweight's are worth money because not too many were made. Now how they shoot who knows they were made on the tail end of the run before Winchester shut the plant down in New Haven..

J. I was trying to be funny earlier and maybe a little truthful. As we know, with all things Winchester, the rarer cartridges/rifles tend to bring more money down the road (maybe 50 years in the WSSM' case). A friend of mine tried to get me to buy a nice classic fwt WSSM (223 I believe) about 5 years ago. I told him I have no use for that thing. They (LGS) were wanting $350.00 for it because everyone else probably thought the same thing I did. He is a pre 64 collector and told me, "one day those rare ones will be worth big bucks": "Take a look at the pre 64's". That always rings a little truth in my mind when I think about it and now I kind of wish I would have bought it.

Hope everyone here has a wonderful fathers day....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
I had 2, a cheap 223wssm truck gun, it was, is a 2 shot wonder! The barrel heated so fast shot 3 would be 2" out. cold bore it was a varmints ( up to whitetails)worse nightmare. Mine likes the 64 grain super X ammo. I also had and just sold a coyote lite in 25 wssm, great gun! It loved the 120 gr super X PEP and 110 gr accubombs...It covers the ballistics of a 25-06 at much higher pressures, ammo is getting hard to locate and I am cutting back to all pre 64's, 70's, except one 7 STW for super long range. very best winpoor

Then we can call you Winchester pre 64 snob instead of winpoor... laugh. I've also decided to go mostly all pre 64's. I've decided to let my last classic go. I'll miss that one because it has been every bit as good as a pre 64 (any pre 64 I've owned). Hate to get sentimental about that rifle, but it's had a funny life with me. Who knows how many stocks and scopes it's worn. I've always threatened to start a thread just on this particular rifle and I may end up doing it so you guys can get a chuckle grin blush

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

J. I was trying to be funny earlier and maybe a little truthful. As we know, with all things Winchester, the rarer cartridges/rifles tend to bring more money down the road (maybe 50 years in the WSSM' case). A friend of mine tried to get me to buy a nice classic fwt WSSM (223 I believe) about 5 years ago. I told him I have no use for that thing. They (LGS) were wanting $350.00 for it because everyone else probably thought the same thing I did. He is a pre 64 collector and told me, "one day those rare ones will be worth big bucks": "Take a look at the pre 64's". That always rings a little truth in my mind when I think about it and now I kind of wish I would have bought it.

I agree with your gunsmith buddy.. Hell the BOSS equipped model 70's were only made for 2yrs one day those things will be worth some coin as your gunsmith buddy said look at the pre64's and the limited chambering and rare variants offered. I guarantee back in 1952 a guy buying a model 70 wasn't telling his buds hey man this thing is going to be worth x amount of money in 60yrs.. Hell anymore its getting damn near impossible to find a decent priced stainless classic in a 270 or 30-06...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

I agree with your gunsmith buddy.. Hell the BOSS equipped model 70's were only made for 2yrs one day those things will be worth some coin as your gunsmith buddy said look at the pre64's and the limited chambering and rare variants offered. I guarantee back in 1952 a guy buying a model 70 wasn't telling his buds hey man this thing is going to be worth x amount of money in 60yrs.. Hell anymore its getting damn near impossible to find a decent priced stainless classic in a 270 or 30-06...

I totally agree. I went to a rifle shoot yesterday and one of the old timers told me he remembers buying the pre 64 fwt's for $120.00. He also said, they had no idea that they would be so collectable/valuable..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ahhh, the joys of being an old geezer. I can remember Win 92's and 94's being $45 used, like new. And Klein's in Chicago had Luger's for $29.95, $10 more for a "hand selected all matching numbers" one. And they'd ship it right to your door, no FFL, no FOID card, just the money. P38's were a little less. That would have been in the late 1940's, right after the war. You could still get them at slightly higher prices in the mid-50's.
yooper

Last edited by yooper35; 06/22/15.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info. Given all of the quality issues with the WSSM rifles, I'll pass. Incidentally, my first model 70 feathrweight cost 139.95 in .270WIN. The same day I bought the new .270, I purchased a really nice, lightly used, deluxe .348 with peep sight for $55. The shop owner told me no one wanted the .348-too hard to mount a scope!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What style, caliber, and price?

Since the 25 WSSM was only cataloged for three years and wasn't sold in Wal-Mart as a Super Shadow package gun, I am betting that they will increase in value within a decade of so.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Right now ammo for wssm is hard to get no brass and no loaded ammo, I am thinking 5 mm Remington is where they will go.The gun show at york pa last week had some for sale $400.00 none sold.

You can't hit the target if you don't take the shot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a few thousand new Federal 223 and 243 WSSM cases on hand, so I think that I'm good for awhile.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

I have a chitload of .243WSSM loaded ammo.

Looking for a local that wants some. Surely not gonna ship it.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I have a 25WSSM that's very accurate it is in a Cooper Varmint Extreme however. I bought it because I liked the wood. It has upgraded French Walnut. I also bought 700 cases.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 47 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,104
Posts18,502,134
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.