Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#10099478 07/03/15
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Costco had Pork Bellies in our local store today. I bought one.
What do I do with it? Any suggestions?

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
slice it up and cook it with beans, onions, tomato sauce, brown sugar and serve it over cornbread

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Better check the use by date to make sure it's safe to eat....... crazy

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Laffin1-4!! Thanks!!

mcm...I've never seen pork bellies at Costco before.

How much does it weigh??

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
blanket, nice post. Put some pics up, please.

Thanks. LD

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by byc

mcm...I've never seen pork bellies at Costco before.

How much does it weigh??

About 9 1/2 lbs.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make bacon

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Our local Costco has just started stocking it too. Very interested in what yall have to say about its uses.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Get a bag of Morton Sugar Cure and make bacon. It really is very easy and it will be better than what you can get at the store.
You could also slice it up as it is and use it as fresh side, fresh side is good eating too.
Bill

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lately, after seeing it done on Triple D and an episode of BBQ Pitmasters, I've been braising it and then crisping it up on a hot grill. It is amazing! The best and most affordable place to buy it here is our local Asian market.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Lately, after seeing it done on Triple D and an episode of BBQ Pitmasters, I've been braising it and then crisping it up on a hot grill. It is amazing! The best and most affordable place to buy it here is our local Asian market.

Mike

That's exactly what I was thinking. Could you provide some detail as to your process

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No problem. I really don't have a "recipe" as I did a lot of reading and used some things from everything I read. First I crosshatch score the belly down to the meat on the fat side and season with my favorite rub making sure to get it in all the cracks. Next brown it on all sides in your pan at high heat to get some color on it (don't do this naked, there's a lot of popping and cracking! grin ). I use a Le Creuset enamel coated cast iron dutch oven, but a straight cast would be fine.

Remove the belly and deglaze the pan with beer. Add sliced carrots, parsnips, onions and celery. Place the belly back in and cover with 1/2 beer and 1/2 apple juice. Bring it to a simmer in your cooker or oven. My cooker does that at about 275*. Check after 3 hours for fork tenderness, It can go as long as 5 hours depending on the size/thickness, but you don't want it falling apart.

When you reach fork tender, remove and get your grill/cooker/cast iron skillet hot and sear it until crispy on the outside. Slice into 1" thick strips and enjoy some of the best eats you will ever put in your mouth! Don't throw away those braising veggies! They are amazing having been cooked in that braising liquid!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the bellies havent been treated with anything, salt and smoke them, the old fashion way.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The BBQ Pit Boys have a video doing a couple of pork bellies.

http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes/bbq-pork-belly#.VZfg0Is-Du0

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
No problem. I really don't have a "recipe" as I did a lot of reading and used some things from everything I read. First I crosshatch score the belly down to the meat on the fat side and season with my favorite rub making sure to get it in all the cracks. Next brown it on all sides in your pan at high heat to get some color on it (don't do this naked, there's a lot of popping and cracking! grin ). I use a Le Creuset enamel coated cast iron dutch oven, but a straight cast would be fine.

Remove the belly and deglaze the pan with beer. Add sliced carrots, parsnips, onions and celery. Place the belly back in and cover with 1/2 beer and 1/2 apple juice. Bring it to a simmer in your cooker or oven. My cooker does that at about 275*. Check after 3 hours for fork tenderness, It can go as long as 5 hours depending on the size/thickness, but you don't want it falling apart.

When you reach fork tender, remove and get your grill/cooker/cast iron skillet hot and sear it until crispy on the outside. Slice into 1" thick strips and enjoy some of the best eats you will ever put in your mouth! Don't throw away those braising veggies! They are amazing having been cooked in that braising liquid!

Mike

Now there's a visual never to be thought of again!! laugh

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Rubbed it with my rub, seared it at 600 degrees for 20 minutes, turned heat down to 325 degrees and cooked for 90 minutes. Added a can of beer to pan and cooked for another 90 minutes.
Delicious, if a little greasy.
Still gonna play around with it. Thinking if I let it cool and slice into strips, like bacon, I can then brown in a pan, and render more of the fat out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (1lessdog, 2ndwind, 204guy, 280shooter, 300_savage, 264mag, 34 invisible), 2,024 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,445
Posts18,507,879
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.