Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The First Amendment apparently does not apply to opponents of gay marriage in Oregon.

Two Christian bakers who refused to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian couple had already been ordered to pay $135,000 in emotional damages to the couple, and now they’re being prohibited from speaking out about their opposition to gay marriage as well.

Aaron and Melissa Klein were issued a cease-and-desist order by the labor commissioner in Oregon after being interviewed by the Family Research Council, according to the Daily Signal.

“This effectively strips us of all our First Amendment rights,” the Kleins, owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa, wrote on their Facebook page. “According to the state of Oregon we neither have freedom of religion nor freedom of speech.”

Oregon Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian placed the effective gag order on the Kleins, saying their vocal objection to gay marriage was directly related to their “discrimination” against homosexuals.

“This case is not about a wedding cake or a marriage,” Avakian wrote. “It is about a business’ refusal to serve someone because of their sexual orientation.”

The cease-and-desist order said the Kleins could be prohibited from speaking about their religious views because their former business is a place of “public accommodation.”

“The Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries hereby orders [Aaron and Melissa Klein] to cease and desist from publishing, circulating, issuing or displaying, or causing to be published … any communication to the effect that any of the accommodations … will be refused, withheld from or denied to, or that any discrimination be made against, any person on account of their sexual orientation,” [Administrative Law Judge Alan] Avakian wrote.

In short, because they were thought to be “discriminating” against same-sex couples while running a business, they are being prohibited by Oregon from speaking out about their reasons for doing so.

“This is a shocking result which shows the state’s relentless campaign to punish Oregonians who live and work according to their faith,” said the Kleins’ attorney, Anna Harmon. “Brad Avakian has been outspoken throughout this case about his intent to ‘rehabilitate’ those whose beliefs do not conform to the state’s ideas.”

The Kleins say they’re not backing down.

“He want’s to silence anyone who opposes his point of view,” Brad Klein said. “he’s doing this with the wrong Christian, because I fight back.”

By using the power of the state, Avakian is trying to strip the Kleins of nearly all the protections enumerated under the First Amendment.

He is doing so in the same week the rest of America is celebrating its independence from an overbearing and oppressive government.

Baker to government: You’re messing ‘with the wrong Christian

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Goodness gracious.

It's the blind leading the blind. Right off a cliff.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
what do you mean Eric, and who are the 'blind'? Short, cryptic replies seem to be growing in popularity here. You can say what you mean, but no one knows who or what you are talking about. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry Sam, I'm rushed and just posted in frustration.

The blind are the people here who take every blog "news" post as gospel and repost them here over and over. I've already tried debunking this gag order nonsense on several threads. There was one just last night.

I read 174 pages of court documents about this case to find out what actually happened. And the owners of Sweetcakes were NEVER told that they can't share their faith.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From what you posted on other threads, the order just prevents them from bragging about, or advertising the fact, that they don't like baking caking cakes for queers.

No shortage of "professional victims" in Oregon.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Perhaps an appeal can slap down this order, and fine. If not, perhaps it could head to the S.C., where 6 liberal and 3 conservative judges, some hawking their personal views, can decide it's fate.

We all know how that has been working out, lately. Kapeesh?

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
If it went to court , 10 of the twelve jurors picked would be fudgepackers

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think I posted the first link about this and didn't look into it any further than the article.
Thanks for reading the legalese Bluedreaux that stuff makes my head hurt.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This is Potlandia, not the rest of Oregon.....

We have to live with what these morons spit out all the time...

But Guess the Old Sign " We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone" just won't work anymore, in places ran by left wing liberals....

but hell, I'll bake these two Lesbos a cake... they might not like it, but I won't "discriminate" toward them just because they are Queers....don't want their feelings hurt and all...

and this Armenian Judge needs to spend less time on the bench and more time at the Gay Bathhouse of his choice in Potlandia...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Guess the Old Sign " We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone" just won't work anymore, in places ran by left wing liberals....

That particular sign won't work 'anywhere' in this country anymore. Period. If one has a business that operates in the public sector, and provides goods and/or services to the public, then the business owner and/or operater has to abide by the rules/laws that are in place...like em' or not. They do have a choice though...they can abide by those rules/laws that are in place (like em' or not), or they can shut down.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It looks like the Kleins will not be "going down" easily.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Going down" easily or "Going down" hard is still "Going down". If you lose a football game by 3 points or 40 points...you 'still' lose.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Who will win this battle has not yet been determined.

Who will win the war has already been determined, long ago.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
“The Commissioner COMMISSAR of the Bureau MINISTRY of Labor and Industries hereby orders [Aaron and Melissa Klein] to cease and desist from publishing, circulating, issuing or displaying, or causing to be published … any communication to the effect that any of the accommodations … will be refused, withheld from or denied to, or that any discrimination be made against, any person on account of their sexual orientation,” [Administrative Law Judge Alan] Avakian wrote.

Let's use the appropriate language here, shall we ?

sick sick sick

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/05/15.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Seafire
Guess the Old Sign " We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone" just won't work anymore, in places ran by left wing liberals....

That particular sign won't work 'anywhere' in this country anymore. Period. If one has a business that operates in the public sector, and provides goods and/or services to the public, then the business owner and/or operater has to abide by the rules/laws that are in place...like em' or not. They do have a choice though...they can abide by those rules/laws that are in place (like em' or not), or they can shut down.

So according to what you just wrote, I can go into ANY public building with my CCW on me even though they have a "no weapons allowed" sign posted? Kind of like a "we reserve the right to refuse service" sign since it is LEGAL, according to state law, for just about anyone in AZ to carry.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Is discrimination only against the law in Oregon? Can I put an ad in the paper saying I want to hire 10 people but none can be white, or left handed, or Christian? Can I start a restaurant and put a sign on the door and say I will not serve married people, or maybe I will only serve conceal carrying right wind Baptists?

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's an interesting thought. A "No Guns Allowed" sign on a restaurant or any other public service establishment would be the same thing: the proprietors discriminating against a legal activity based on their beliefs.

I'd bet, however, that the judge in question would find a way to twist his precedent backwards when deciding guns as opposed to gays.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Oregon homosexuals are a protected class.

That's what the whole case hinges on.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
That's an interesting thought. A "No Guns Allowed" sign on a restaurant or any other public service establishment would be the same thing: the proprietors discriminating against a legal activity based on their beliefs.

I'd bet, however, that the judge in question would find a way to twist his precedent backwards when deciding guns as opposed to gays.

A bunch of them fajjoes carry firearms too!

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (ar33c9, 808outdoors, BALLISTIK, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 7 invisible), 1,203 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,688
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.