Hop To
Page 9 of 38 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 37 38
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Yet more trivial questioning.

What future very famous and important American general was caught up in the midst of a "Swoop & Hooraw" raid by Confederate guerrillas when he was a young boy?

John J. Pershing.

Outstanding. I wish I would have had you in one of my classes. smile

Last edited by hillbillybear; 07/04/15.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Sic semper (?)

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Sic semper (?)

Tyrannis?

Last edited by hillbillybear; 07/04/15.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
always

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have you ever looked at this issue in this way?

First,leave the morality of slavery aside. I do not and nobody I know will argue that it is not a blight on the soul of humanity. It has been a terrible evil since slavery was first conceived all those long millennia ago but to better understand the times of the pre- Civil War period this larger slavery question must be set aside.

It was much more an economic issue than a state's rights issue at this juncture.

At the time slavery was legal in the United States and it was a business proposition. Slaves were viewed as personal property.

Large southern slaveholders had huge amounts of their money invested in the slaves. A runaway slave represented a major business loss. As the abolition movement gained steam the large slave owners came under increasingly more pressure and their fiscal losses mounted.
Absolutely agree, and whenever I've said that slavery was the primary cause behind the Civil War, I meant the threat to the economics of slavery in regards to the South. The morality of slavery was behind a lot of things in the North, but the South was viewing economic ruin for not only slaveholders but the financial institutions as well. Think Great Depression... The South almost stayed part of the British Empire 90 years earlier due to attempts by the Founders to end slavery with the founding of our nation.

But the Fugitive Slave Act (and many other federal maneuvers) still shows, in my mind, that the talk of State's Rights was mostly propaganda put out by the Southern Democrats to rile up the "common" man. Ones who had no slaves but the South needed for political support and soldiers. The wealthy politicians and ruling class had the most to lose, much of the common folk were so bad off that a Great Southern Depression would have hardly been felt. So they needed to make the the average Joe feel threatened by them "Dam Yankees". The South used federal power just as aggressively as the North did prior to the war, but Democrats have always been good at using the "lie often enough and everybody will believe it" strategy and they did it aggressively in the South. Just read the New York Times or watch CNN today, the Dems are still good at it.

The Civil War did end much of the State's Rights due to things like the 14th Amendment, mostly due to Supreme Court decision making (as was said by others) rather than ole Abe directly. Some good things resulted (such as 2A being binding on the State's as a recent example), but far too much power centralized in the federal gov't.

Good thread, btw.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here is another question that my students often missed on exams or quizzes:

Name the meeting place and the city where it was located that the end to Reconstruction was negotiated?

Nobody going to take a crack at this question?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Name the meeting place and the city where it was located that the end to Reconstruction was negotiated?

the Wormley House hotel in Washington D.C.

I confess to looking it up. Interesting read on how that came to be.
Hayes vs Tilden

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paul_M

the Wormley House hotel in Washington D.C.

I confess to looking it up. Interesting read on how that came to be.
Hayes vs Tilden

You went and did what Historians are supposed to do. Look for an answer.

I have always thought there is some irony somewhere in a bunch of politicians meeting at a place called Wormley to make a back room political deal.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another question that gave a lot of my students grief on exams:

What post-bellum event led to the first concerted reconciliation efforts between the North and South? Why?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another good one for the reading list. It offers an interesting look into the post-bellum Southern mindset. It also makes the liberals queasy which is always a good thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Clansman-Thom...;keywords=the+clansman+thomas+dixon+1905

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HBB

do you believe that NBF started the klan?

pretty interesting read from a good writer
http://youwereliedtoabout.com/nbf.htm

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

What post-bellum event led to the first concerted reconciliation efforts between the North and South? Why?

The Spanish American War?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SAKO75
HBB

Thanks for posting that. A very interesting read.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The roots of the American Civil War really go back to England. England was composed of very different ethnic groups that had very different ideas of government.

These groups immigrated to North America and made up the dominant groups in the various areas of America. The English Civil War had many men in Massachusetts going back to England to fight for parliament and the Roundheads. The southern colonies remained loyal to the Crown.

Slavery was the catalyst and the issue de jour that caused the American Civil War, but the sides had been chosen long before and they were two peoples who did not like each other.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SAKO75
HBB

I have never seen any conclusive evidence/source material that confirms he did.

I think it may be a case of Forrest made a very good Boogerman for elements both North and South to pin it on.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Correct. It was the War O' 98. Now why? What elements in that war drove the reconciliation?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HBB

Back in the 70's I remember my American History textbook (went to school in Minnesota/or the North). In Junior High said that the cause of the Civil war was slavery and tariffs. When I got to high school the textbook was silent about the tariffs. I always thought it was interesting how my textbooks changed from 7th grade to 10th grade. Just an observation I notice in school how recorded history changed.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Correct. It was the War O' 98. Now why? What elements in that war drove the reconciliation?

A common foe, imperialistic nationalism, and so on and so forth. It was the first instance of significant numbers of US troops being in the south since Reconstruction. Lots of southerners and northerners fought together and formed relationships. Plus, with no standing army to speak of, the government was still heavily dependent on volunteers and HAD to foster a feeling of reconciliation to get the south fully on board and behind the effort.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scotty
HBB

Back in the 70's I remember my American History textbook (went to school in Minnesota/or the North). In Junior High said that the cause of the Civil war was slavery and tariffs. When I got to high school the textbook was silent about the tariffs. I always thought it was interesting how my textbooks changed from 7th grade to 10th grade. Just an observation I notice in school how recorded history changed.

Changes like that are common in HS textbooks. I once saw a History text that was used in some districts in OH, PA, and NY that never mentioned anything about the Civil War but the cause was slavery and Lincoln saved everything in the section on the war.

There was no mention at all of Lee, Grant, Jackson, etc. Only a brief mention of Gettysburg focused almost entirely on Lincoln's address was it for any of the battles.

Page 9 of 38 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (1234, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.