Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I was in a gunshop in upstate NY and found these. They belonged to an older gentleman whose daughters have become uncomfortable with their aging father having so many guns. They sat down with him and said they wanted him to get rid of the guns. He was sharper than they anticipated and it was his suggestion to get rid of the ammunition and let him keep his guns. They agreed and started to downsize. I paid less than a third what I would have expected but they said this was what they wanted. Supposedly there are more than a few Savages behind a pile of ammo. All of this has the same lot number with the exception of the Peters..

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice, those should shoot well!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Nice connection to make. Hopefully you can help them down the road and keep them from giving away Dad's treasures for a song.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice find and good deal all the way around.
Yea, keep an eye on THAT guy. wink smile

"Every day above ground is a good day."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The only thing I've noticed from Kleanbore Remingtons of that vintage is the occasional neck split. I never had one get stuck in the chamber. I've heard members, and other guys, talk about anealing older shells. I have never tried it and sometimes think of it as something akin to alchemy. Maybe somebody could chime in on their experiences anealing older brass such as you Kleanbore .303s.

Last edited by S99VG; 07/04/15.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sweet Steve! That's a contact to stay in contact with. There may be more firearms from NY in your future. wink grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S99VG
The only thing I've noticed from Kleanbore Remingtons of that vintage is the occasional neck split. I never had one get stuck in the chamber. I've heard members, and other guys, talk about anealing older shells. I have never tried it and sometimes think of it as something akin to alchemy. Maybe somebody could chime in on their experiences anealing older brass such as you Kleanbore .303s.

I won't worry too much about them. I have more than enough .303 in hand for shooting. These will just sit. I bought these just to get them off the shop shelf and slow the story telling. wink wink

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Nice find. I've bought some older ammo also.Not to shoot, just to have. smirk

Seem to be in really good shape.Good for you!!

Steve

Last edited by Sbrown; 07/04/15.

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Very nice find indeed!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sbrown
Nice find. I've bought some older ammo also.Not to shoot, just to have. smirk

Seem to be in really good shape.Good for you!!

Steve

I have also seen a good deal of older ammunition with issues splitting. Most that I saw displayed some degree of tarnish/corrosion on the outer surfaces. This ammo looks like it was stored very well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Have a similar condition box of 30-40 Krag Peters Rustless red/yellow/ blue earlier edition than above that I would like to trade. Looking for a bear box of Winchester or Western in 348 cal. Might be convinced to throw in a few rounds of pretty green ammo. smile GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A few years back I had 2 boxes of the Remington Kleanbore 303 like them. Over half split on firing. Only brass that I've ever had issue with. Display/ collecting purposes they are good for.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sweet!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldotter
A few years back I had 2 boxes of the Remington Kleanbore 303 like them. Over half split on firing. Only brass that I've ever had issue with. Display/ collecting purposes they are good for.

+1. As I said. I have no intention of shooting them. As I said, I got these for small money. It opened the door for the future.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice find Steve! Where in upstate is the shop?...I'll be happy to keep an eye on it for you, and be sure to let you know if any other Savage treasures come in.... wink

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
some people just fall right into the bucket...
I'm jealous smile

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffG
Nice find Steve! Where in upstate is the shop?...I'll be happy to keep an eye on it for you, and be sure to let you know if any other Savage treasures come in.... wink

At least you come right out and say what's on your mind. The only problem is that I am terrible at giving directions. wink wink smile smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

It opened the door for the future.

Or they verified you're a squeaky tight azz and will look elswhere for gun buyers. Maybe should have paid them double money. grin

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The four digit product code on the Remington's and no warning label would put production in the late 40's to early 60's. Peters would be the same period. Remington used a similar box design for a long time. Product code starting with an alpha followed by three digits is pre-WWII.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Great find and the boxes are in super shape as well. Too nice to shoot anyway in my opinion. I have had a few split necks with old ammo some in great condition. I think it has more to do with work hardening with age than corrosion. .303 Savage ammo is tough to find now in my area. Local dealer wants $100 a box plus tax. I prefer to haunt the gun shows, once in a while you find a box for a decent price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (222Sako, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 33 invisible), 1,740 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,605
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.