Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 38 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 37 38
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They would likely have classified Birdwatcher as a Statist or Monarchist (this more so in Europe): One who supports the overarching power of a government to maintain order and protect the rights (either actual or perceived) of the people by force of law or martially.

How so?

Birdwatcher would have fought to preserve the Union, as was the stated objective of the vast majority on the Union side..... nothing more. And like almost everyone today, he could NEVER have fought for a Constitution that enshrined for perpetuity the enslavement of four million Southerners.

As for the rest, you're actually saying an Irish Catholic was a Monarchist.... (OK, there are some that were blush)

My own sentiments on that matter were best stated by a certain fictional Irishman before Little Round Top....

"I'm Kilrain, and I damn all gentlemen."

...to understand this, it helps immensely if one has any familiarity with the old British class system.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The states rights arguments were there from the outset. Slavery came into the fore for the North later as the war ground on

Just as you cannot separate pre-war Southern economic and political issues from slavery, neither can you separate states rights issues when slavery WAS the states' right issue front and center, that had divided this country from the very beginning.

This is precisely why the South called themselves "Slave States" , rewrote their constitution to preserve it, and why all those five states that gave statements of causes listed slavery front and center.

Sorry, but to try and downplay slavery is absurd.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PVT
Birdwatcher=Republican

Bristoe=Democrat

Sorry Bristoe

Optimist and Pessimist.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I can't understand why people think that preserving the Union is such a positive thing.

If the Union has a corrupt, tyrannical government, then let go of it.

A government that insists on preserving the Union is a government that insists on holding power over its people.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A government that insists on preserving the Union is a government that insists on holding power over its people.

Everyone talks about "the government or "a government", what if more than half the United States thought that the Union as it existed was worth preserving, period. Lincoln did not act alone.

Birdwatcher

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
They would likely have classified Birdwatcher as a Statist or Monarchist (this more so in Europe): One who supports the overarching power of a government to maintain order and protect the rights (either actual or perceived) of the people by force of law or martially.

How so?

Birdwatcher would have fought to preserve the Union, as was the stated objective of the vast majority on the Union side..... nothing more. And like almost everyone today, he could NEVER have fought for a Constitution that enshrined for perpetuity the enslavement of four million Southerners.

As for the rest, you're actually saying an Irish Catholic was a Monarchist.... (OK, there are some that were blush)

My own sentiments on that matter were best stated by a certain fictional Irishman before Little Round Top....

"I'm Kilrain, and I damn all gentlemen."

...to understand this, it helps immensely if one has any familiarity with the old British class system.

Birdwatcher

Sorry Mike, You can't devote your entire life working for the State in one form or other, and claim to be an anarchist or revolutionary.

And Bristoe is the prototype "lazy revolutionary". [here's what y'all oughta be raisin' hell about]

Pretty good fit for Mr. Bear's categories, I'd say.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Everyone talks about "the government or "a government", what if more than half the United States thought that the Union as it existed was worth preserving, period. Lincoln did not act alone.

Birdwatcher

What if more than half wanted you to give your house to an illegal immigrant?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry Mike, You can't devote your entire life working for the State in one form or other, and claim to be an anarchist or revolutionary.

Never said I was either. I'm a Union (1861) man, but I belong to no unions.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
The Royal Spanish regulations on caste and class were extreme to say the least.

I wonder how the Spanish court of that time would deal with us here at the Campfire?

I am thinking exile to a life at hard labor in a penal colony.

Chances are none of us would be allowed to use or own computers. So we probably would not known who each other were. The Spanish ruled with a pretty tight fist. Hand in hand with the church they kept a pretty tight rein on things!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by curdog4570
And Bristoe is the prototype "lazy revolutionary". [here's what y'all oughta be raisin' hell about]

Pretty good fit for Mr. Bear's categories, I'd say.

I don't consider myself a revolutionary,...lazy or otherwise.

I'm just a garden variety small 'l' libertarian.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What if more than half wanted you to give your house to an illegal immigrant?

Not sure they'd care to live in it...

...but, more than half of us already supports abortion on demand, I ain't gonna go propose dividing the Union over it.

OK, things could get so bad that I MIGHT want to leave, as they did in 1861, but if ya ask 'em in '61 what REALLY had them PO'd.... slavery... sorry, just the way it was.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Birdwatcher

I think it is referred to as Tyranny by majority.

The North was making good money off the South while contributing little.

"Preserving the Union" was holding captive an entire region who wanted no part of that Union any longer.

Even today... should this generation of Texans be inseparably bound to 49 other States because of treaties or laws passed by previous generations?

If you say that Texas exists only as one of the United States of America, then you have no argument for the USA claiming any Sovereignty among the other nations of planet earth.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
...but, more than half of us already supports abortion on demand, I ain't gonna go propose dividing the Union over it.

What's your fascination with the Union?,...especially in 2015.

I just can't see any benefit to the Union at this point.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Lee definitely made the wrong call. He could have been president and had a nice pension.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by curdog4570

I think it is referred to as Tyranny by majority.

The North was making good money off the South while contributing little.

"Preserving the Union" was holding captive an entire region who wanted no part of that Union any longer.

Even today... should this generation of Texans be inseparably bound to 49 other States because of treaties or laws passed by previous generations?

If you say that Texas exists only as one of the United States of America, then you have no argument for the USA claiming any Sovereignty among the other nations of planet earth.

We pray each night you Texans will secede.

Still hasn't happened.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What's your fascination with the Union?,...

The World has always been a shark tank, today we'd most likely have a dis-united South, maybe an independent Mormon nation in Utah, and Europe would most likely be Communist.

I just can't see any benefit to the Union at this point.

Really, we are still the only game in town championing World freedom. I know you don't agree. But if we ain't number one, somebody else will be, and most likely they won't be nearly as nice as us.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd settle for a Number One who would mind their own business and leave everbody else alone.

'course.... that'd take the fun out of bein' number one for them that keeps score, I reckon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We pray each night you Texans will secede.

Still hasn't happened.

Travis

I think we are all flattered you have even been reading this thread.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Admitting that you contemplate my actions is proof enough that you're not fully retarded. Yet.

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

Admitting that you contemplate my actions is proof enough that you're not fully retarded. Yet.

Travis

Seemed like good manners to leave you an opening.

Page 12 of 38 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.