Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
If I remove the stock on a Model 70 with aluminum pillar bedding (e.g. Bell and Carlson or McMillan), and use a torque driver to reassemble it, will it return to zero pretty well assuming I tighten the screws to 35 inch-pounds in the same order and orientation every time? What sort of error could I expect to see?

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes. Maybe a 1/2" error, certainly not enough to cause an issue.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
There's only one way to find out...

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I put "witness marks" on my Rem 660 when I removed it from the stock and it was dead on when I reassembled it. Most ot my rifles are off a little.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I never remove a stock and replace it without checking zero on paper. If for nothing else , a peace of mind.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I often take the barreled actions out of their stocks when traveling, in order to use a take-down case. When they go back together they're usually off slightly at 100 yards, whether or not the stock is pillar-bedded ort not--but they're all epoxy-bedded. After the first shot, however, they normally start shooting right where they were sighted-in at home.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This is what I do too. I've noticed the TSA give the "takedown" an abbreviated look cause its not as threatening.
The shorter rifle case makes it much easier to negotiate in a crowd also.
As someone already alluded to, there is only one way to find out, which I did for the first time today with a Sako Brown Bear in 375 H&H. Like Mule Deer said, there was a 1/2" difference with poi at 100 yards. Also I did this to confirm the "irons" were on at 50 yards - in case of a fall or I lose footing in a crick crossing.

I'll do this a few more times once I decide on which bullet to use on my moose hunt.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by philthygeezer
If I remove the stock on a Model 70 with aluminum pillar bedding (e.g. Bell and Carlson or McMillan), and use a torque driver to reassemble it, will it return to zero pretty well assuming I tighten the screws to 35 inch-pounds in the same order and orientation every time? What sort of error could I expect to see?
I do one thing with my rifles when I reassemble them that no one has mentioned so far. I hit them on the floor from about six inches up [butt first naturally] a couple of times. They seem to not be as far off on the first shot if I do so.

I do the same thing if I take off annd remove a scope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well My Blaser R-93 returns to zero zero pretty much ever single time I break it down and put it back together- they make them like that! But I always check zero before I go hunt just to be sure, old habit! I also will check from time to time during the season just so that there is no question- were I hunt these days it gets a little sticky if a deer runs off, private property, you have to contact the Game Warden to track game off your land!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.