Hop To
Page 16 of 38 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 37 38
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Another question that stumped the students on the Spanish American War.

What caused the Spanish American War to break out?

Alfred Thayer Mahan

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There was also another smaller conflict that broke out in 1900 that is often overlooked. The Boxer Rebellion.

Exactly. Lots of stuff going on, and who is to say what would have happened to our own imperial Manifest Destiny expansion (something a lot of folks here with issues outside our shores conveniently hide behind Manifest Destiny that was nothing more than imperial expansion and destruction of several native geopolitical entities (Indian Nations)) had the North and South competed for the Territories, coupled with all the unrest in Mexico? The Brits, although siding with the South for obvious reasons, would (and did) changed sides to suit their own national interests. Like I said, all conjecture, but at least in my view, the United States didn't turn out so bad, that is until my aforementioned stuff happened.

Last edited by jorgeI; 07/07/15.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Alfred Thayer Mahan

???

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc

They sank our battleship.

Did the Spanish really sink the Maine?

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Pretty good website on the Spanish American war:

http://www.spanamwar.com/index.htm

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Yellow journalism, followed by an internal explosion on the Maine, followed by more yellow journalism.

Last edited by denton; 07/07/15.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It was actually a homemade batch of black market "Coobun" hot sauce that went up that sent the Maine to the bottom.

Last edited by JohnMoses; 07/07/15.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by denton

Yellow journalism, followed by an internal explosion on the Maine, followed by more yellow journalism.

The press role in the outbreak of war was far, far larger than it should have been.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The US Navy investigators should have paid a lot more attention to the Spanish report on the Maine.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by 4ager
Here is yet another question that gave my students fits in the post-bellum lectures:

Did the US military learn any lessons from the Civil War that helped them in the Spanish American War?

Were they more/better prepared for major military operations in the spring of 1898 than they were in the spring of 1861? Use comparison and contrast to examine this issue in detail.

Yes, and no.

We had no clue what we were going up against as far as advanced weaponry (bolt action rifles) and were still stuck in the musket era as far as infantry weapons. We had no clue how to do amphibious invasions. We still had no clue how to do light infantry assaults or use of unconventional tactics/combatants (RoughRiders figured that out, along with better weaponry).

We had an advantage when in came to some assault tactics and especially in assaults on fortified defenses and use of trenches. However, this was essentially a draw with what the Spaniards brought to the table.

By far, our greatest advancement and advantage was in the use of ironclad warships. We learned very quickly that wooden vessels were no match for iron clads and that proved decisive against the Spanish.

Thumbnail sketch of a much larger and longer topic.

This. Especially when you consider the number of Spaniards holding San Juan and Kettle Hills....

and don't forget the German advisers and their Krupp cannon and Maxim guns.

There was a considerable bit of artistic license concerning these two items in the movie earlier mentioned by JoeBob. ( hell in the movie there were t even Kruppe they were 75 mm French Puteaux guns).

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There was a considerable bit of artistic license concerning these two items in the movie earlier mentioned by JoeBob. ( hell in the movie there were t even Kruppe they were 75 mm French Puteaux guns).

During the scenes of the American advance there are several British SMLE in the hands on the Rough Riders and other troops.

There is also a left hand conversion Krag in the mix.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

During the scenes of the American advance there are several British SMLE in the hands on the Rough Riders and other troops.

Hmmmm dunno about the SMLE's. I knew the reenactor coordinator on that movie. He was pretty strict. However you never know what props will come up with. I've seen the same LH Krag scene. That is a flipped frame. Bad editing.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Hmmmm dunno about the SMLE's. I knew the reenactor coordinator on that movie. He was pretty strict. However you never know what props will come up with. I've seen the same LH Krag scene. That is a flipped frame. Bad editing.

The SMLE is in the scene just before the LH Krag. Looks like the extras instead of a reenactor.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Probably the case. lots of bodies got pulled off the street to fill deep background back in the day before computer stuff.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That is exactly what that shot looks like. A large background/crowd shot.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I thought the American artillerists in the movie did a really good job. I suspect those boys are some serious renactors.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oh, I got a dvd copy of the Rough Riders and put it in the department film library. It drove the liberals nuts because it didn't speak out against Imperialism enough and it had all the guns in it.

Seriously, these people think you can make a war movie without guns.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I thought the American artillerists in the movie did a really good job. I suspect those boys are some serious renactors.

Actually they were extremely authentic to what was actually present! What would have been cool would have been a recreation of one of the dynamite guns made up for use on land!!!!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/07/15.

Founder

WS

Page 16 of 38 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 204guy, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,400
Posts18,470,126
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.