Hop To
Page 18 of 38 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 37 38
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Another exam question:

Who was the highest ranking US civilian authority in Cuba at the outbreak of war with Spain in the spring of 1898?

This one has me stumped. But I am now getting oil changed i. Wifey's car and my best book on the subject is on my nightstand. I was going to say Frederick Funston. But there had to be someone there hightre than him. And he actually was military. In a sense.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless it was the Ambassador to Spain, I haven't a clue either. Something tells me, though, that it was a rather politically influential and rather privately wealthy businessman.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
And that really opens up the possibilities!!!

Changing the subject;

Back to punitive expedition to Mexico. A recently uncovered statment made by Col. Slocum ( commanded the forces at Columbus March 1916) to another army officer stated that the real reason for Villa's raid on Columbus was to kidnap (Slocums) wife for ransom. She was the daughter of a back east millionaire. And Slocum and Villa knew each other well.

Slocum made this comment at a dinner party in 1927. In total confidence to the officer. He stated no reason for this other that his own Intel at the time. He had long sense retired from service.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Unless it was the Ambassador to Spain, I haven't a clue either. Something tells me, though, that it was a rather politically influential and rather privately wealthy businessman.

Ever hear of a fellow named Fitzhugh Lee? He was US Consul General in Havana when the war broke out.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Yeah. The Marine one was a gimmie! wink.

Always liked ol' Gimlet Eye! We had a pup named for him! He was a little scrapper too!

Butler didn't win the MOH in the Boxer Rebellion. Though nominated by regulation Marine officers were not allowed to receive the MOH at that time.

He won the first in Veracruz in 1914 and the second in Haiti in 1915

http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/citations_1900_wars/mx_butler_smedley.html

http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/2455/butler-smedley-darlington.php

Last edited by hillbillybear; 07/08/15.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And that really opens up the possibilities!!!

Changing the subject;

Back to punitive expedition to Mexico. A recently uncovered statment made by Col. Slocum ( commanded the forces at Columbus March 1916) to another army officer stated that the real reason for Villa's raid on Columbus was to kidnap (Slocums) wife for ransom. She was the daughter of a back east millionaire. And Slocum and Villa knew each other well.

Slocum made this comment at a dinner party in 1927. In total confidence to the officer. He stated no reason for this other that his own Intel at the time. He had long sense retired from service.

Now, this is interesting.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Oops. My bad!

Vera Cruz??? Interesting incident. Germany did not breach the Monroe Doctrine on a technicality. But why let a good incident go to waste.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oops. My bad!

Vera Cruz??? Interesting incident. Germany did not breach the Monroe Doctrine on a technicality. But why let a good incident go to waste.

The Germans were very active in Mexico.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

This fellow, Navy Coxswain John McCloy, won his first MOH in the Boxer Rebellion and his second at Veracruz.

http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/2318/mccloy-john.php

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. That's the reason why accordions, tubas, and essentially polka music are such a part of Mexican culture. Weirdest damned combo going.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep. That's the reason why accordions, tubas, and essentially polka music are such a part of Mexican culture. Weirdest damned combo going.

Hey, I like Mexican polka. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This fellow, Navy Coxswain John McCloy, won his first MOH in the Boxer Rebellion and his second at Veracruz.

http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/2318/mccloy-john.php

Him Navy; him not Marine (even if he was a badass).

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
By 1916 it was estimated there were between 5000 and 7000 german advisors in Mexico.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Figures.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
By 1916 it was estimated there were between 5000 and 7000 german advisors in Mexico.

"Advisors"... Now where have we heard that term before?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
wink

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I can also appreciate the media playing up the mexican army sending water purification units to New Orleans after Katrina. I remember the newscaster stating " This is the first time since1847 that the Mexican Army has been on US soil!"

LOL! Ok I'm not counting the times here recently that they have made incursions here into texas as of late, but Woodrow Wilson allowed several regiments of Federales to travel by train. On US soil from New Mexico to Douglas Ariz. In fall of 1915 to flank Villa's forces dug in across the border at Agua Preita. And to top it off officials on this side of the border set up search lights to assist theFederales with night time attacks on the Villastas.
Another good reason for Villa to set his sights on Columbus.

Founder

WS

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

I will probably live to regret posting the following but here goes anyway.

There has been a lot posted on the Civil War on the Campfire lately. Some good, some bad, and a bunch that is really stupid and absurd.

In terms of a historical event there have been more barrels of ink and reams of paper spent on the War Between the States than almost any other single thing in American History.

Since I am an Historian by professional training I have thought I might post some on how you can develop a better understanding of the events surrounding the Civil War if you are interested in doing some work and digging on your own.

Be forewarned there is an absolute Himalayan mountain range amount of material to sift through. A few quick internet searches are not going to get you anything but mostly perplexed and disgusted. Forget finding a single cause for the war because there is NO single overriding cause. Nor will you find a consensus list of causes. The Civil War is simply too complex an event for that.

The first step I would suggest is to see how the Civil War fits into the continuum of history. To do this you are going to have to begin with a clear understanding of the events prior to the outbreak of hostilities.

To this end I would suggest using 1861 as a starting date and go back at least 50 years. Once there begin with a well done textbook on American History. I would recommend the following volume:

http://www.amazon.com/America-Narrative-George-Browm-Tindall/dp/0393974421

It is one of the best ever compiled. Read it and take notes.

More later.

Jefferson Davis Quotes on Slavery - see:
http://www.csapartisan.com/jefferson_davis_quotes.html

While the Confederate Battle Flag is an historical relic, other issues have clouded its history. Given that it has been used by the KKK and other hate groups, it's role in history has been greatly tarnished and is seen as insulting to many Americans. It needs to be replaced.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
While the Confederate Battle Flag is an historical relic, other issues have clouded its history. Given that it has been used by the KKK and other hate groups, it's role in history has been greatly tarnished and is seen as insulting to many Americans. It needs to be replaced.

Spoken like a true liberal.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Figures.

You mean yo don't like a good Mexican Polka. grin

Page 18 of 38 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 79 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,530
Posts18,530,824
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.