Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Cropslx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I received my first Leupold scope today. I have never really been a fan. I purchased the Leupold vx-r 2-7x33mm with Firedot 4 reticle. The Firedot 4 reticle is perfect and the illumination is GREAT with multiple settings. Over all I am pleased, BUT does Leupold scopes not come with ANY type of lense covers? Paying $500 for a scope I would expect some type of cover to protect the lenses.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The last one I bought came with a neoprene slip-cover. Kind of hokey looking but I suppose it protects the scope and lenses reasonably well.

I bought some Butler Creek flip caps.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Leupold probably recognizes that no matter what sort of lens protection they would chose to provide, some portion of the buyers would be unhappy and complain. Since doing nothing costs nothing, it is the best solution for all parties, in that some won't care and those who complain would likely complain anyways.

I'm a ScopeCoat guy, buy 'em by the dozen, and dislike Butler Creek style lens protection, probably have 64 quart tote box full of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cropsl
....BUT does Leupold scopes not come with ANY type of lense covers? Paying $500 for a scope I would expect some type of cover to protect the lenses.

Not needed........you know,....... because of the Diamond Coat

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A lot of Nikons come with cheap Butler Creak style covers that anyone serious rips off before they even mount the scope. A lot of scopes come with the cheap plastic ones with the elastic between them that are fine for storage but a joke in the field Leupold makes the best option IMHO with their Aluma Covers but they're like $40 for each lense cover.

IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by reelman
A lot of Nikons come with cheap Butler Creak style covers that anyone serious rips off before they even mount the scope. A lot of scopes come with the cheap plastic ones with the elastic between them that are fine for storage but a joke in the field Leupold makes the best option IMHO with their Aluma Covers but they're like $40 for each lense cover.

I think all scopes should come with those coves that nikon monarch provides. 500 Leupold should come with something.
no buttler creek but better than the cheap cups.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cropslx
Paying $500 for a scope I would expect some type of cover to protect the lenses.

Would you have paid $600 for the scope if it came with Alumina covers? laugh

My guess it was answered above - folks have differing opinions on what works for them so they likely exclude them.

The VX3's I've purchased in recent years came with a neoprene cover (complete with ostentatious logos), so I'm not sure how Leupold decides what VX designation gets what.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I put Butler Creek on all my scopes. Muscle memory allows for easy opening without thinking about it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last ones I bought came with with the neoprene covers. One also had the metal screw in caps (useless) but that was a promotional deal.

I like the neoprene for protection from bumps in the safe but not for hunting.
For hunting I use a front (objective) BC cap only. No need for the rear since it's facing down when carrying.
BC caps have turned to chit any more though so If I were to need a new one I'd go back to the old rubber bikini covers.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Since we've already determined $500 is giving the manufacturer and retailer too much money, how much should they cost without covers?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I like the alumina flip-ups personally; well worth the cash.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by reelman

I think all scopes should come with those coves that nikon monarch provides. 500 Leupold should come with something.
no buttler creek but better than the cheap cups.

Why include a cover that doesn't work good and will be replaced right away? Maybe Leupold should just include the Aluma Covers with all their scopes. But then the $500 scope will be a $575 scope!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Aluma covers are really nice but expensive. Much like their version of Rainguard where you had to spend an extra $100 to get that, I guess that's Leupold's way of getting some extra $$$$ from the customer. Lots of other scope companies are now offering a Rainguard type coating so it's time that Leupold step up to the plate. Other companies charge nothing extra for these advanced coatings. They are not a gimmick as they actually help quite a bit in crappy weather. Companies such as Meopta, Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Bushnell (Bushnell had them in the late 90's on their B&L scopes) all have hydrophobic coatings in their lineup.

Can't see these adding a whole bunch of loot...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
forum test

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RDFinn
The Aluma covers are really nice but expensive. Much like their version of Rainguard where you had to spend an extra $100 to get that, I guess that's Leupold's way of getting some extra $$$$ from the customer. Lots of other scope companies are now offering a Rainguard type coating so it's time that Leupold step up to the plate. Other companies charge nothing extra for these advanced coatings. They are not a gimmick as they actually help quite a bit in crappy weather. Companies such as Meopta, Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Bushnell (Bushnell had them in the late 90's on their B&L scopes) all have hydrophobic coatings in their lineup.

Can't see these adding a whole bunch of loot...

[Linked Image]

I agree they can't cost much but does anyone actually use them? Maybe for storage but when was the last time you saw someone in the field with those cheap covers on?

I think it's interesting how Nikon does it. On their cheap ProStaff scopes they have the cheap covers like shown, on the Monarch 3's they have Butler Creek style (although not as good) and on the Monarch 7 they don't include any covers. I think it's because people buying an $800+ scope don't want a cheap cover and those buying a cheap scope think the cheap covers add to the value.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Alumina's ain't cheap, that's a fact, but they're in a league of their own. I also wish Leupy would include a rainguard, at least on the VX3 and up series. OTOH, I doubt it's hurt sales much.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I used to think Leupold scopes were an over priced extravagance. Then my eyes caught up with my age. Now I have a Leupold with the post & duplex reticle on all of my hunting rifles. Are there better scopes? I'm sure there are but it's had to find a brand that allows you so many options. Granted for a price but still there are options.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I owned a pair of Aluma covers once. I really liked how they flipped all the way over and stayed out of the way when not in use. I got them free on sales promo for buying the scope. Are they worth a $100? I haven't been able to make myself spring for another pair since but they are nice.

C
Cropslx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I emailed Leopoldo for the alumina covers I need. I might as well go with them smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I lost two of the Loopy bikinis last season alone.

I would prefer the neoprene ones as they are great for storage, protecting the whole scope/mount area. In the field I prefer the two-piece rubber caps that stretch over the tube at each end. Often, they can be pulled back and placed over the turrets or locked together to keep them out of the way and they don't fall off while you're dragging out your deer.😃

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1badf350, 257Bob, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,902
Posts18,518,528
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.